I know it’s nearing the end of winter here in Australia but for my international readers, you’re just entering winter. We all associate soup with the colder weather but my family and I enjoy soup all year round. This is my families classic homemade and hearty vegetable soup! It uses simple, fresh, delicious and nourishing vegetables to fill you up. You will love how simple this delightful vegetable soup is and packed with flavour it is!
As i mentioned earlier, my family and I love to enjoy soup all year round, yes that’s right, every single day of the year, no matter the weather outside. My Dad is soups biggest fan and I don’t blame him, it’s an absolute stable in our household to have a bowl of soup before our main dinner meal, does this ring true in your family too?? This vegetable soup is just one of many soup recipes we make at home. Thanks to my Mum for creating wholesome veggie soup that we can always count on for a nourishing dish to enjoy.
Now of course you can add more of your favourite vegetables in this soup, it will seriously work with any yummy seasonal vegetables! Now it goes without saying that a good hearty vegetable soup will provide you will many beneficial nutrients for your body and besides the amazing vegetables used in this recipe, the main bulk of this vegetable soup is the red split peas. Red split peas are packed full of fibre, manganese, copper and protein, convinced? I am! Thanks to the fibre content in red split peas, they prevent blood sugar levels from rising rapidly after a meal, which is great in managing blood sugar disorders.
As you can see, we use vegemite in our vegetable soup! Unfortunlatey, original vegemite does contain gluten and since being gluten free, we tracked down a great substitute. I introduce you to Freedom Food’s Gluten & Yeast Free Vege Spread! You can of course still use regular vegemite in your own vegetable soup if you don’t have gluten sensitivities. Another option is to omit the vegemite spread altogether, it will still taste great without it! I hope you and your family and friends enjoy this beautiful homemade and heart-warming healthy vegetable soup, from my family to yours.
- 2 Litres (8 cups) vegetable stock
- 2-3 cups filtered water, to fill pot up to half way*
- 350g red split peas, washed and drained
- 2 large white potatoes, washed, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 medium sized sweet potato, washed, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 large carrots or 4 small carrots, washed and roughly chopped
- 1 red onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 large stalks celery, washed, trimmed and roughly chopped,
- 4 vegetable stock cubes
- Pepper and salt to taste
- 1 heaped tsp vegemite*
- Fill a large soup pot with vegetable stock and add water until the liquid fills half the pot.
- Add split peas and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally.
- Whilst the spilt peas are coming to a boil, prep all vegetables in a high speed food processor until roughly chopped into small chunks. Set aside in a large bowl.
- Continue to cook split peas over medium-high heat until they begin to soften.
- Add all vegetables to pot, mix well and cook for a further 2 minutes on medium heat.
- Add stock cubes, pepper, salt and vegemite, mix well.
- Bring the soup to a boil then turn down heat to bring to a simmer.
- Simmer soup for a further 30 minutes, lid on, stirring occasionally.
- Serve soup immediately or turn off heat, leave in the pot with the lid on to serve later in the day.
*If you don’t have access to vegemite, Bonox is a good substitute. We use gluten free vegemite here.
Fill pot with vegetable stock and if it doesn’t half fill the pot (depending on the size of your pot) top up the remaining with filtered water until it reaches half way.
I use a high speed food processor to chop all my vegetables, you can also roughly chop them by hand.
This recipe is enough to feed a big family, reduce the recipe to half to serve a smaller amount of people.