I know it’s nearing the end of winter here in Australia but for my international readers, you’re just entering winter. We all associate soup with the colder weather but my family and I enjoy soup all year round. This is my families classic homemade and hearty vegetable soup! It uses simple, fresh, delicious and nourishing vegetables to fill you up. You will love how simple this delightful vegetable soup is and packed with flavour it is!
As i mentioned earlier, my family and I love to enjoy soup all year round, yes that’s right, every single day of the year, no matter the weather outside. My Dad is soups biggest fan and I don’t blame him, it’s an absolute stable in our household to have a bowl of soup before our main dinner meal, does this ring true in your family too?? This vegetable soup is just one of many soup recipes we make at home. Thanks to my Mum for creating wholesome veggie soup that we can always count on for a nourishing dish to enjoy.
Now of course you can add more of your favourite vegetables in this soup, it will seriously work with any yummy seasonal vegetables! Now it goes without saying that a good hearty vegetable soup will provide you will many beneficial nutrients for your body and besides the amazing vegetables used in this recipe, the main bulk of this vegetable soup is the red split peas. Red split peas are packed full of fibre, manganese, copper and protein, convinced? I am! Thanks to the fibre content in red split peas, they prevent blood sugar levels from rising rapidly after a meal, which is great in managing blood sugar disorders.
As you can see, we use vegemite in our vegetable soup! Unfortunlatey, original vegemite does contain gluten and since being gluten free, we tracked down a great substitute. I introduce you to Freedom Food’s Gluten & Yeast Free Vege Spread! You can of course still use regular vegemite in your own vegetable soup if you don’t have gluten sensitivities. Another option is to omit the vegemite spread altogether, it will still taste great without it! I hope you and your family and friends enjoy this beautiful homemade and heart-warming healthy vegetable soup, from my family to yours.
- 2 litres (8 cups) vegetable stock
- 250 g red split lentils
- 1 large red onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 large carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 medium white potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 small-medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 3 stalks celery, trimmed and roughly chopped
- 2 vegetable stock cubes
- 1 heaped teaspoon Vegemite
- Salt & pepper, to season
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, add stock and lentils. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to low.
- Chop each vegetable in a food processor into small chunks/diced.
- Add all vegetables into pot. Mix well to combine.
- Add stock cubes, vegemite, salt and pepper to season. Mix well.
- Bring to a boil over high heat. Once beginning to boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and serve.