It’s officially the first day of autumn today in Australia (sad face) and it’s going to be 32ºC (89ºF) and I’m brining you soup…
This summer has been quite inconsistent with the weather being extremely hot, very cold, fires, floods and that all happens in just one day, if you’re from Melbourne! I’m serious…
Sharing this Potato and Leek Soup recipe with you on the first day of autumn is just purely a coincidence, I promise! Nonetheless, it’s delicious and you must try it, if you LOVE soup like my family and I do.
We have soup all year round, do you? Or just stick with it in the depths of winter? My Dad loves, loves, LOVES soup, hence why we have it every night. My personal favourite is our Vegetable Soup but I thought we had to switch things up a bit and chuck in a new flavour combination, potato and leek! Excited?!
Now I must warn you, this soup can pack some heat! By that I mean spicy/hot, not steaming hot. That’s because leeks are from the Allium Family, just like onions and garlics. If you’re sensitive to the spice/heat, you may want to omit the cayenne pepper or even replace it with ground nutmeg, yum! I add nutmeg to our pumpkin soup, I will be sharing that recipe probably in the depths of winter which seems to be just around the corner!
Soup is the perfect entree/appetizer isn’t it?! Especially if you’re looking to get in another serving of your nutritious vegetables, soup is one of the best ways do achieve that.
You will love this delicious potato and leek soup, it’s texture, it’s flavour and not to mention it’s super simple to make, got to love that! Do you have a favourite soup? I want to make a french onion soup next, just like my french onion pasta but in soup form! Minus the dairy…. oh guess what! We found VEGAN cheese and we are all pretty excited about it. Let me tell you a funny story. We were ordering this vegetarian cheese for a while but then came to the light bulb moment that all cheese is vegetarian and in actual fact, we were wanting vegan cheese… oh goodness golly gosh. We will just move on now.. 😉 Ever have those moments of stupidity? Hehehe!
So get yo’ big old soup pot out and make this filling potato and leek soup now! You won’t regret it!
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 large purple onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 large leeks, chopped into 1 inch lengths with green tips removed
- 3 medium sized golden potatoes, peeled and chopped into large cubes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2-3 cups filtered water
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley, to serve
- Heat oil in a large soup pot over high heat, add chopped onion and sauté until translucent.
- Add minced garlic, sauté until fragrant.
- Add chopped leeks, cook for 5 minutes until leeks are tender and translucent, continuing on med-high heat.
- Add cubed potatoes, continue to cook mixture for a further 10 minutes, mixing well.
- Pour in vegetable broth and top up with enough water to cover all the vegetables.
- Turn heat to high, cover and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, turn heat to low and simmer, covered, for 20-30 minutes or until potatoes are tender and soft.
- Remove from heat and in batches, transfer to a high speed food processor or blender and pulse for 3-5 seconds just until mixture turns smooth and thick.
- Return soup to the pot once all blended.
- Heat soup over a high heat, stir through cayenne pepper, salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring soup to a boil then remove from heat.
- Serve with a touch of fresh parsley and enjoy!
Half this recipe if you’re wanting a smaller batch of soup for a couple of people. This soup recipe is enough to serve 4-6 people with leftovers.
You can also use a hand blender to blend the mixture into a soup whilst still in the pot.