Roasted Tomato Soup! With added pasta! This soup will warm your soul with every spoonful.
In my household, we enjoy soup all year-round, yep, you heard me correctly, soup for us isn’t just for the depth of winter, soup is perfect in summer too! Well, there are exceptions, if it’s wayyy to hot outside, yeah nah, I know I won’t be having a bowl of hot soup, I’ll opt for a refreshing fruit popsicle please!!
Let’s get back on track, this rich and hearty roasted tomato soup is simple to make and you can prepare a huge batch to enjoy for the entire week! Seasoned with the classic Italian flavours (drooling), brings the beautiful flavours of the roasted tomatoes and garlic together perfectly. We like to add spiral pasta to out tomato soup because it adds that extra element of deliciousness! Similar to a minestrone soup but will much less vegetables.
I hope you enjoy this family favourite roasted tomato soup as much as my family and I do. Is there anything better than looking forward to your big bowl of hot soup after a long cold day?
- Roasted Tomatoes
- 1kg medium/large tomatoes
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 heaping tablespoon dried Italian mixed herbs
- Sprinkling of Himalayan pink salt and cracked black pepper, to flavour
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoon dried basil
- 400g canned crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups vegetable stock, plus extra if needed
- 1 bay leaf
- Himalayan pink salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1½ cups rotini pasta, can also use penne pasta, gluten free if preferred
- Fresh parsley, to serve
- Roasted Tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 200ºC (390ºF). Lightly grease a large oven tray (with sides), set aside.
- Cut tomatoes into quarters and fill them in the oven tray. Scatter over garlic cloves.
- Drizzle olive oil all over tomatoes and sprinkle over Italian herbs and flavour with salt and pepper.
- Roast tomatoes for 45 minutes then remove from oven.
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add chopped onion and sauté until translucent. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, approx. 2-3 minutes.
- Stir through dried basil.
- Pour in canned tomatoes and stock. Add bay leaf and season with salt and pepper.
- Add pan of roasted tomatoes and garlic, mix well. Adding more vegetable stock so the tomatoes are just covered with liquid.
- Bring mixture to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Cover pot and simmer for 30 minutes until tomatoes are completely soft and beginning to break down.
- Cook pasta according to packet instructions then drain and set aside.
- Remove and discard bay leaf from soup.
- Using a stick blender, blend soup until smooth. Or use a high-speed food processor, blend soup in batches until smooth then return to the pot.
- Add cooked pasta to soup and mix well. Heat soup through on medium heat and add any extra salt and pepper, to taste.
- Remove from heat and pour desired amount into serving bowls. Top with fresh parsley.
- If not serving straight away, pour soup into a large tupperware container and let cool before storing in the refrigerator for later use.
Looks so rich and delicious! Can't wait to try this.
Thanks Payton!! Oh it's the best! If you love tomatoes... you'll enjoy this! The pasta is my favourite part though 😉 xx