An easy flatbread recipe in your own recipe repertoire is a little golden nugget you can turn to whenever you need something to slop up that delicious homemade curry sauce with dinner!
Under 10-ingredients, smothered in extra virgin olive oil, garlic and Italian herbs, scrumptious! This super simple flat bread recipe can be whipped up whilst your dinner is cooking away on the stove, it’s that quick! With only 10 minutes of resting time, you won’t need any other flat bread recipe again!
Quick Garlic and Herb Flat Bread
- 175 g (1 1/4) cups white unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 tsp instant dried yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Garlic powder
- Dried Italian herbs
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour. Whisk through yeast and salt. Make a well in the centre.
- Pour in warm water and olive oil. Using a wooden spoon, gently mix the flour into the liquid. Mixing until a soft dough forms. You may want to use your hands for this step!
- On a lightly floured surface, turn out dough and knead lightly until the dough is smooth all over, approx. 10-20 seconds of light kneading.
- Form dough into a smooth ball on floured surface and cover with a clean tablecloth. Allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- In a small cast iron skillet or fry pan, drizzle enough olive oil to create a light coating on the base and sides of the pan. Begin to warm pan over a low heat.
- Divide dough into four quarters. Take one quarter and cover the remaining with the tea towel.
- Lightly dust a rolling pin with flour. Roll out piece of dough to a 1cm-2cm thick round.
- Increase heat of pan to medium-high. Once hot, place dough round into pan and cook for 30-40 seconds until air bubbles begin to appear under the dough.
- Carefully flip over and cook for a further 20-30 seconds until golden and cooked through.
- Remove from pan and whilst still warm, brush over a thin layer of olive oil. Sprinkle with garlic powder and dried herbs. Set aside. NOTE: Keep the completed flat breads warm in a pre-heated oven while you make the remaining flat breads, if desired.
- Repeat this method with the three remaining dough pieces.
- Serve and enjoy with homemade curry!