Fabulous to pop into your kids lunchbox and also great to take to work. These granola bars require zero baking, only refrigeration. They’re soft yet solid, filled with nourishing dried apricots, energising hemp seeds and nutrient dense hulled tahini created from sesame seeds.
- 1 1/2 cups (150g) old fashioned rolled oats, use certified gluten free oats if desired
- 1 cup (250g) dried apricots, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (40g) hemp seeds
- 1/4 tsp fine salt
- 3/4 cup (180g) hulled tahini
- 1/4 cup (80ml) maple syrup
- 4 Tbsp (60g) coconut oil
- Line a square 8 inch x 8 inch (20cm x 20cm) baking pan with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add oats, chopped apricots, hemp seeds and salt. Mix well and set aside. NOTE: ensure your apricots are finely chopped into small pieces as large pieces can make these bars crumble more.
- In a small-medium sized pot, add tahini, maple syrup and coconut oil.
- Place pot over low heat and gently melt mixture down until smooth. Mix it occasionally with a spatula. Ensure mixture doesn’t come to a boil or simmer.
- Once completely melted, remove from heat and pour over dry mixture. Mix until well combined and dry ingredients are well coated, a wooden spoon is helpful for this step!
- Transfer mixture into lined pan and press in firmly. I recommend you take a small drinking glass and use the base to press the mixture down into the pan until it’s well packed. This will achieve the best bars that do not crumble.
- Place in the refrigerator and chill for 2 hours or preferably overnight so the bars are completely solid.
- Remove from pan and using a sharp knife, cut it in half to create two even halves. Then slice each half into long bars widthways.
- Store in an airtight container, refrigerated, for 1 week – 10 days.