These easy Air Fryer Sweet Potato Wedges are seasoned with spices and are made and cooked in under 30 minutes! They're golden with crisp edges.
These tasty sweet potato wedges cook in the air fryer until they’re golden with slightly crisp edges. Being wedges, they’re generously seasoned with paprika, cumin, and garlic powder.
They cook faster in the air fryer compared to an oven, which is a bonus as you don’t have to turn on your oven!
Enjoy your sweet potato wedges for lunch or as an appetizer served with salt, chopped parsley, sweet chilli sauce, and Greek yogurt if desired!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- They take less than 30 minutes to make and cook.
- Seasoned with spices to add flavor and color.
- Faster in the air fryer than in your oven.
- Healthier than deep-fried sweet potato wedges.
What To Serve With Sweet Potato Wedges
Your wedges can be served as a side dish alongside your main meal which can include dishes such as:
Table of Contents
If you’re interested in more delicious potato recipes, try my Roasted Herbed Fries with Peanut Butter Dipping Sauce, Potato Broccolini Pastry Tart, these golden and my crispy Rosemary & Garlic Mini Hasselback Potatoes. If you’re feeling fancy, this DIY Rosemary Seasoned Salt is delicious sprinkled on top of homemade fries and wedges.
Ingredient Notes & Substitutions
Sweet potato: You only need one medium-large sweet potato. Wash it and don’t peel it, unless you want to!
Extra virgin olive oil: A small amount is needed to coat the wedges and to help stick and distribute the seasonings.
Paprika: Adds a nice warm spice and vibrant color. You can use regular ground paprika or hot or smoked ground paprika. To substitute, try using ground turmeric.
Cumin: Is earthy, hearty, and warm, a classic wedges spice! To substitute, try curry powder or garam masala.
Garlic powder: It would be a sacrilege to not use garlic powder on homemade sweet potato wedges. To substitute, try using onion powder.
Toppings: I love the addition of salt and chopped fresh parsley over the sweet potato wedges.
Dips: Serve your wedges with your favorite dips, a great combination is sweet chilli sauce and Greek yogurt!
Step By Step Instructions
There is a full and detailed recipe card at the bottom of this post.
1) Slice it into wedges or thick fries. Not too large and not too thin.
2) Place wedges into a medium-sized mixing bowl and drizzle over the oil and use your hands to toss well in the oil.
3) Sprinkle over paprika, cumin, and garlic powder. Toss to coat well.
4) Arrange the wedges in the air fryer basket in a single layer, leaving a small gap between each to allow even cooking and avoid them from going soggy. You might have to cook your wedges in batches.
5) Turn the air fryer to 200ºC (350ºF) and cook for 5 minutes.
6) Pull the basket out, turn each over using tongs, and return to the air fryer and cook for 5-8 minutes or until cooked through and golden. Keep an eye on these as they cook quickly.
7) Serve and enjoy with a sprinkling of salt, chopped parsley, and your favorite dips such as sweet chilli sauce and greek yogurt or make them a side dish to your main meal!
Tips For Recipe Success
- There is no need to peel your sweet potato but you can if you desire.
- Don’t cut your wedges too thick otherwise they will take longer to cook and they can turn soggy.
- Don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket with your wedges, cook them in a single layer with a small gap between each sweet potato so they're not touching.
- You might need to cook them in batches depending on the size of your sweet potato and air fryer basket.
- Turn each sweet potato over halfway through to ensure even cooking.
- Check on your wedges during cooking to avoid them from burning, they don't take long to cook at all, only 10-15 minutes.
Store leftover sweet potato wedges after they have cooled in an airtight container, refrigerated, for 2-3 days. Reheat in the air fryer until hot.
Putting too many wedges in the air fryer basket at one time causes overcrowding. The heat will steam your wedges as opposed to baking them, which causes them to go soggy.
Due to their higher moisture and sugar content when cooked, sweet potato fries in the air fryer generally do not turn crispy compared to regular white potatoes. You can achieve slightly crisp edges by leaving space between each sweet potato wedge to avoid them turning soggy.
Sweet potato wedges take 10-20 minutes to cook in the air fryer.
No, soaking sweet potatoes will not make them crispier in the air fryer. Save your time and enjoy your wedges in under 30 minutes!
Sweet chilli sauce
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Wedges
- Air Fryer
- Mixing Bowl
- Sharp Knife
- 1 medium-large (450g-500g) sweet potato, washed & not peeled
- 2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon ground paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Chopped parsley
- Sweet chilli sauce
- Greek yogurt
- If your air fryer requires pre-heating, do so now to 200ºC (350ºF).
- Cut the ends off your sweet potato.
- Slice it into wedges or thick fries. Not too large and not too thin. Refer to the images in the post for a visual.
- Place wedges into a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Drizzle over the oil and use your hands to toss well in the oil.
- Sprinkle over paprika, cumin, and garlic powder. Toss to coat well.
- Arrange the wedges in the air fryer basket in a single layer, leaving a small gap between each to allow even cooking and avoid them from going soggy. You might have to cook your wedges in batches.
- Turn the air fryer to 200ºC (350ºF) and cook for 5 minutes.
- Pull the basket out, turn each over using tongs, and return to the air fryer and cook for 5-8 minutes or until cooked through and golden. Keep an eye on these as they cook quickly.
- Serve and enjoy with a sprinkling of salt, chopped parsley, and your favorite dips such as sweet chilli sauce and greek yogurt or make them a side dish to your main meal!