Glorious Melting Moments filled with a creamy lemon infused buttercream. These homemade biscuits are next level melt-in-your-mouth. Their texture is extra delicate thanks to them being 100% gluten free, if you choose to go ahead and use gluten free flour. Simple to make biscuits, all in one bowl and no chilling required before baking.
The buttercream frosting filling is whipped to it’s best creamy texture and is the most perfect addition to your heavenly melting moment biscuits. I know you will just love how easy these gluten free melting moments are to make. Serve them fresh for an afternoon tea with friends and family. Enjoy, Sam x
Melting Moments with Lemon Buttercream
- 180 g salted butter, softened at room temperature
- ¼ cup 40g icing sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean extract
- 200 g gluten free plain flour, sifted, or regular all purpose flour, I use ‘Bob’s Red Mill Baking 1-1 Gluten Free Flour’*
- ¼ cup 40g cornflour, sifted
- 50 g salted butter, softened at room temperature
- 2 cups icing sugar (confectioners sugar)
- 2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (356ºC). Line a large baking tray with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, or the bowl of an electric stand mixer (if using), add softened butter, sifted icing sugar and vanilla. Beat on medium-high for 2-3 minutes or until mixture turns light/pale yellow and fluffy in texture. Scraping down the sides as needed.
- Sift over flour and cornflour. Beat until well combined and mixture forms a soft dough. NOTE: the dough will be quite smooth/soft, still holding it’s shape when rolled into rounds. If dough is too wet/sloppy, add a little more plain flour until it comes together.
- Pick up approx. 2 tablespoons worth of dough (weighing approx. 25g each) and roll into small rounds. Place on lined tray and repeat with remaining dough. Leaving a small 2-inch gap between each to allow for spreading during cooking.
- Take a lightly floured fork and gently press the back of the fork down on each round to slightly flatten.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes or until very lightly golden around the edges. Some cracks will appear on top.
- Remove and cool on tray for 5 minutes.
- Carefully transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Biscuits will be quite delicate to handle when still warm.
- In a mixing bowl, or the bowl of an electric stand mixer (if using), add softened butter. Beat on medium-high for a few seconds until butter turns creamy.
- Add 1 cup icing sugar and beat until just combined.
- Add remaining 1 cup icing sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice. Beat for 1 minute until light and creamy. NOTE: if needed, add extra lemon juice if mixture is too dry or add more icing sugar if mixture is too wet/sloppy and won’t hold it’s shape.
- Spoon frosting into a piping bag fitted with a medium sized open star nozzle.
- Pair up cooled biscuits. Recipe makes 8 melting moments.
- Pipe frosting on the underside of 1 biscuit in each pair.
- Very gently sandwich together with second biscuit.
- Serve and enjoy!