Classic one bowl cookies that absolutely melt in your mouth! This delightful cookie recipe is simple and so perfect to enjoy with your hot cuppa tea or coffee. Created with 6-ingredients using a one bowl method, then a chill time of 1 hour. Your cookies will then bake in 15 minutes!
- 1 ¼ cup (185g) plain all purpose flour, may also use a good quality plain gluten free all purpose flour
- ½ cup (50g) dutch process cocoa powder or natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp instant coffee
- 170g (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- ¾ cup (110g) powdered icing/confectioners sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean extract
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, sift together the flour and cocoa. Whisk through the coffee and set aside.
- You can use either the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attached or use a large mixing bowl with an electric hand beater.
- To the mixing bowl, add softened butter and beat on low speed for a few seconds until creamy.
- Sift over icing sugar and add the vanilla. Beat until well combined and fluffy, about 1 minute. Scraping down the sides as needed.
- Add the dry ingredient mixture and beat on low speed until well combined and a soft dough forms. Ensuring not to over-beat. You may need to stop the beating and bring it altogether using your hands.
- Form a big ball of dough in the mixing bowl then place on a sheet of plastic wrap. Flatten down slightly into a thick disc. Wrap it up in the plastic wrap and transfer to the refrigerator to chill for 1 hour to firm.
- 30 minutes before your dough is ready to come out of the fridge, preheat oven to 180ºC (356ºF). Line a baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- Remove dough from fridge and pick up approx. 1 tablespoon, rolling it in your palms and then flatten slightly into a round disc. Place on lined tray and repeat with remaining dough, leaving a 1 inch gap between each cookie.
- Take a fork and press down the prongs slightly into each cookie.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the edges are firm and they come away easily from the baking paper. Ensuring they aren’t over-baked as they will become too dry and not melt in your mouth once cooled. They won’t be completely firm after you remove them from the oven, they will be quite soft but they will firm up whilst they cool down.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on tray for 3 minutes.
- Carefully transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container, in a dark pantry, for 5 days - 1 week.
- Prep Time: 20min
- Cook Time: 15min