These Australian classic are oat & coconut biscuits sandwiched together with a rich chocolate cream. You can now easily recreate this household favourite with a simple biscuit recipe that is quite similar to an Anzac biscuit. The velvety smooth chocolate filling is 2-ingredients!
- 1 cup (150g) plain all purpose flour
- 1 cup (120g) quick oats, if you only have rolled oats, quickly pulse them in a food processor or thermomix until broken down to the size of quick oats, leaving some larger pieces
- ¾ cup (60g) desiccated coconut
- ⅔ cup (115g) coconut sugar or packed light brown sugar
- 125g unsalted butter
- 3 Tbsp (60g) golden syrup
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp boiling water
- Chocolate Filling
- 180g plain dark chocolate block, I use Cadbury baking dark chocolate, broken into squares
- 30g unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (356ºF). Line a large baking tray with baking/parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour, oats, coconut and sugar. Whisk until well combined.
- In a small/medium size pot, add butter and golden syrup. Put over a low heat and warm until butter is completely melted and mixture is smooth. Ensuring it doesn’t boil, a little simmer is ok. Turn off heat once melted.
- Immediately add the baking soda and boiling water together in a small bowl and mix quickly to combine. Then immediately pour this into the butter and syrup mixture. Allow it to froth up.
- Once it’s nice and frothy, straight away pour into the dry flour mixture. Mix with a wooden spoon or spatula until it forms soft biscuit dough.
- Form cookies, pick up 2 teaspoons worth of dough, roll in hands to stick it together. Flatten in your palm to a round biscuit disc, refer to above images on tray.
- Place on lined tray, 1-inch apart to allow for slight spreading. Repeat with remaining dough. Ensuring they’re close to equal in size to make it easy to sandwich together later.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until lightly golden and they easily peel off the baking paper. The biscuits will be soft but they’ll firm up whilst they cool.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on tray for 5 minutes.
- Gently transfer biscuits to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Chocolate Filling
- Prepare a double boiler with a heat proof mixing bowl over simmering water.
- Break chocolate into squares and place in the bowl. Add butter. Gently melt over a low-medium heat, stirring occasionally, ensuring it doesn’t burn.
- Once completely melted and smooth, remove bowl from heat and set aside to cool until it turns to a spreadable consistency. Pop it in the fridge to fasten up the process. Almost the texture of Nutella but a bit thinner!
- Dollop ½ teaspoon of chocolate onto the bottom side of one cookie. Take another cookie and press filling down gently, sandwiching them together.
- Repeat with remaining biscuits + filling. Set aside until the chocolate has set.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container, in the pantry, for 4 days - 1 week.
- Prep Time: 30min
- Cook Time: 10min