I love easy slice recipes and this quick Gluten-Free Lemon Slice is no exception. Made gluten-free using arrowroot biscuits along with condensed milk and a 3-ingredient lemon icing!
Gluten-Free Lemon Slice
A luscious gluten-free lemon slice is a no-bake slice recipe that is a must-try!
It uses gluten-free sweet biscuits to make the condensed milk biscuit base. Created in one bowl with freshly squeezed lemon juice and lemon zest.
This gluten-free slice stands out as a lunchbox-friendly treat, ideal for both kids and adults. Its no-bake nature appeals to those seeking convenience without sacrificing taste.
The lemon and coconut is a refreshing combination and will soon become your favorite new easy no-gluten free slice recipe.
Can I make this a dairy-free lemon slice?
Yes, you can make this lemon slice dairy-free by using dairy-free alternatives for condensed milk and butter. Check out my vegan lemon slice recipe, it’s gluten-free as well!
Ingredient Notes & Substitutions
A full and detailed recipe card with all the ingredients to make this lemon slice is at the bottom of this post.
- Plain arrowroot biscuits: Use plain gluten-free arrowroot biscuits to make this lemon coconut slice gluten-free. You can also use plain Marie Biscuits or plain Digestive Biscuits however these are not gluten-free.
- Desiccated coconut: Use desiccated coconut and not shredded coconut.
- Sweetened condensed milk: Use regular full-fat sweetened condensed coconut milk.
How To Make Gluten-Free Lemon Slice (with photos)
There is a full and detailed recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Step one: In a large mixing bowl, combine crushed bisuits with the desiccated coconut and lemon zest.
Step two: Pour in the condensed milk, melted butter, and lemon juice. Mix with a wooden spoon or spatula until well combined.
Step three: Press the mixture firmly into the lined pan using a spatula/wooden spoon or your hands. Place into the refrigerator to chill while you make the icing.
Step four: In a medium-sized mixing bowl, sift in icing sugar and pour in melted butter and lemon juice. Whisk until well combined and smooth, it will be thick.
Step five: Spread icing over the biscuit base. Return to the refrigerator for 1 hour or until the icing has set. Remove the slice from the pan and slice it into squares. Enjoy!
- May nNeed More Condensed Milk: Depending on what biscuits you use, more condensed milk may be needed until the biscuit base sticks together and it’s not too crumbly.
- Sift Powdered Sugar: To remove any lumps.
- Lemon Icing Is Thick: Be sure to spread it over the base immediately to prevent it going too hard.
Do I have to use gluten-free biscuits?
No, you can use plain Marie Biscuits, plain Digestive Biscuits, or any plain sweet biscuit for this no-bake lemon slice recipe.
Can I use bottled lemon juice instead of fresh lemon?
While fresh lemon juice is recommended for the best flavor, you can use bottled lemon juice in a pinch. However, the fresh zest is crucial for that zesty lemon flavor.
How do I know when the lemon slice has set properly?
The slice should be firm to the touch and hold its shape when cut. Refrigeration for a few hours or overnight is usually sufficient for it to set properly.
How to Store Gluten-Free Lemon Slice
Store: In an airtight container, refrigerated, for 1 week.
Freeze: Either the whole slab or in individual slices, in a freezer-friendly container for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge or at room temperature for several hours until soft.
If you enjoy this recipe, please consider leaving a ⭐️ star rating and a comment review below. I love to hear what you think and it’s much appreciated. Thank you! Your email address will not be published. Sam x
Gluten-Free Lemon Slice
- 250 g packet plain gluten-free arrowroot biscuits, or plain Marie or Digestive biscuits
- 1 1/2 cups desiccated coconut
- 2 tbsp lemon zest, approx. 2 lemons
- 200 g (3/4 cup) sweetened condensed milk
- 80 g butter, melted, use unsalted or salted
- 2 1/2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice, approx. 1 large lemon
- 2 cups (300g) pure icing sugar
- 60 g butter, melted, use unsalted or salted butter
- 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice, approx. 1 medium lemon
Gluten-Free Biscuit Base
- Line a 9 x 9 inch (22cm x 22cm) square baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a high-speed food processor, add biscuits and crush to a crumb.
- Pour crushed biscuits into a large mixing bowl.
- Stir through desiccated coconut and lemon zest.
- Pour in condensed milk, melted butter, and lemon juice. Mix with a wooden spoon or spatula until well combined.
- Press mixture firmly into the lined pan using a spatula/wooden spoon or your hands.
- Place into the refrigerator to chill while you make the icing.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, sift in icing sugar.
- Pour in melted butter and lemon juice. Whisk until well combined and smooth, it will be thick.
- Spread icing over the biscuit base.
- Return to the refrigerator for 1 hour or until the icing has set. To fasten up the process, chill in the freezer. You can also refrigerate it overnight.
- Remove the slice from the pan and slice it into squares.
- Store: In an airtight container, refrigerated, for 1 week.
- Freeze: Either the whole slab or in individual slices, in a freezer-friendly container for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge or at room temperature for several hours until soft.
First published in November 2018, this recipe was updated in November 2023 to include new step-by-step images, expert recommendations, storage guidelines and more.