Remember my Lemon and White Chocolate Slice? I asked my Instagram friends if they would like to see a completely vegan version of this delectable slice and the consensus was a big fat YES! I mean, it was easy enough to do, replace the dairy ingredients with non-dairy ingredients right? Not that easy… because have you ever found a great alternative for condensed milk? I hadn’t either, until this one day beautiful day….i was looking for a can of coconut milk and there it was, shining in all its glory, condensed coconut cream. I may or may not have shed a tear out of pure joy.
My next hurdle was finding a substitute for butter. My mum was actually making this slice one day and i give all the props to her for turning this into the best vegan lemon slice ever! I use vegan spreadable butter for my toast and what not and that is what she used in this slice. Although the frosting texture is softer and doesn’t set completely like my original lemon and white chocolate slice, it’s still completely and utterly perfect. Oh and I’m sure you can find vegan white chocolate at your local health food store! (p.s. that sentence right there was nearly going to say ‘Oh and i'm sure you can find vegan white chocolate at your local white chocolate store’) safe to say white chocolate is on my mind, i just love chocolate.
Now let’s take a moment to fully appreciate this slice:
- Gooey and some what chewy.
- Burst of fresh lemon infused biscuit crumble base.
- Completely gluten free and vegan.
- No bake is like the best kind of bake right…?
- Sweet, slightly guilt free (*cough, icing sugar cough*)
- Only need a small slice at once, trust me, this way it will last much longer!
This isn’t your typical lemon slice you know, it doesn’t have that gooey lemon curd middle layer topped with a flaky pastry topping. This is so much better. My favourite past time is food, always has been and always will be. You will find me in my natural habitat which consists of a comfy couch, a warm blanket, my puppy dog Max with some sort of sweet treat on hand whilst binge watching Gilmore Girls, are you with me?
This weekend, that sweet treat constantly in my hands was this vegan lemon slice. Do you ever find yourself sneaking off to the fridge to grab another slice but you keep telling yourself ’this is your last one’ whilst grabbing 2 more slices for the next episode? Guilty! This will be you when you try this tasty slice, let me know how you go!
- 2 x 200g packets plain arrowroot biscuits (gluten free)*
- 1 medium lemon, zest and juice
- 1 x 320g can condensed coconut cream*
- 1½ cups desiccated coconut
- 100g vegan white chocolate*, melted
- 60g vegan butter*, chopped into chunks
- 3 cups icing sugar (gluten free)
- 3 tablespoon almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean extract
- Line a 10 x 10 inch square baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a high speed food processor, add 1 packet of the biscuits and process until a fine crumb. Pour into a mixing bowl. Repeat with the second packet of biscuits.
- Add the lemon zest and juice to the crumb mixture.
- Pour in condensed coconut cream and desiccated coconut.
- Thoroughly mix all the ingredients together with a wooden spoon, you may find it easier to mix it using your hands.
- Evenly spread the mixture into the prepared pan and place in the refrigerator.
- In a double boiler over low-medium heat, melt white chocolate. Begin frosting while chocolate is melting but remember to stir the chocolate every now and then.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or using a hand mixer, add butter. Using the whisk attachment, whisk the butter for 30 seconds or until just soft.
- Gradually add icing sugar, 1 cup at a time.
- If white chocolate is done, take it off the heat to let it cool slightly.
- Between the addition of the icing sugar, add almond milk, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Add in vanilla extract and beat well.
- Add melted white chocolate and beat mixture for a further 1-2 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Evenly spread frosting on top of the base and place back into the refrigerator until set, approximately 1-2 hours. It won't set completely, it will still be soft.
- Keep slice in an airtight container, refrigerated for up to 10 days, if it lasts that long 😉
* You can find vegan white chocolate from any health food store.
* You can find vegan butter from any health food store.
* I found my condensed coconut cream from Woolworths (In Australia) in the asian grocer aisle. Try your local supermarket or health food shop.