Oh that chocolate + peanut butter combination again! Who can resist? I can’t!
These two flavours work perfectly together, especially in a delicious fudgy brownie.
I have been wanting to share a chocolate brownie recipe with a peanut butter swirl for the longest time! I attempted it once, it failed. I then tried again using my 30-Minute Mint Chocolate Brownie recipe. I made up a peanut butter swirl mixture and voila! It baked perfectly and resulted in a tasty chocolate brownie with the best peanut butter swirled through. It’s addictive if I do say so myself!
These brownies are also gluten free, dairy free and completely vegan! Yippee!! No milk, butter or eggs in these brownies! Now that is what I call guilt-free brownie!
If you can’t have nuts, you can replace the peanut butter in this recipe for other seed butters such as sunflower seed butter and sesame seed butter, or even cashew (if you can have cashews that is). If you don’t want to use the nut/seed butters, you can simply use my 30-Minute Mint Chocolate Brownie recipe instead. That recipe is what I used to make this PB choc brownie, it will just be without the peanut butter.
What are some of your favourite brownie flavours? Or flavour combinations that you have made or tried? I love brownies and I know you guys too so I would love to supply you guys with an endless supply of delicious brownie recipes, wouldn’t you? There are blondies of course, the brownies made without dark chocolate but white chocolate. I actually have a blondie recipe here on my blog, just another one for you to try, yay!
I hope you guys enjoy this yummy yet very simple chocolate peanut butter swirl brownies! Enjoy them for your weekly snacks and after dinner desserts!
- ¾ cup pitted dates, soaked in boiling water for 5 minutes
- ¾ cup smooth peanut butter
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup almond milk
- ½ cup oat flour*
- ⅓ cup cacao powder
- 1½ tsp vanilla bean extract
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- ¾ cup dark chocolate chips
- Peanut Butter Swirl
- ½ cup smooth or crunchy peanut butter
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (356ºF). Line a 9” x 9” square baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Drain soaked dates.
- In a high speed food processor, add dates, peanut butter, applesauce and milk. Blend on high until smooth and combined. Scraping down the sides.
- To the processor, add oat flour, cacao, peppermint extract, vanilla and baking soda. Blend on high until well combined and smooth.
- Add chocolate chips, pulse until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan and smooth out top.
- Peanut Butter Swirl
- In a small mixing bowl, combine peanut butter and melted coconut oil. Mix until well combined. NOTE: You want this mixture to be pliable so you can mix it through the brownie batter. If it’s still too thick, add a little more of the melted coconut oil.
- Dollop tablespoon worths of swirl mixture over the top of the brownie batter. Take a butter knife and gently swirl it through the batter.
- Bake for 15-25 minutes or until top springs back when touched or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove and cool in pan for 10-15 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Slice into squares and enjoy!
*You may also try using gluten free all purpose flour if you don’t have access to oat flour. Just remember the final texture of the brownie may be slightly different to the original recipe. I suggest adding a little less of the all purpose flour (if using instead of the oat flour) beginning with ¼ cup and pulsing the batter. You want a thick pourable brownie batter.