I’m really enjoying sharing these easy, healthy and delicious savoury recipes with you these past few weeks and i have been getting some fantastic feedback. I know not everyone has a big sweet tooth and thats why i hope to cater to more of you who enjoy these savoury, lunch and dinner meals. This newbie I’m introducing to you today is the perfect side salad to have with your main meal or as a simple and quick lunch. A warm mixture of chickpeas, sautéed sweet potatoes, toasted sesame seeds all tossed together with fresh herbs and spices.
I always get asked and i’m sure many of you do as well, what do you eat as a vegetarian/vegan? A kale leaf and a small selection of pre-frozen, store bought vegetables seems to be what people think i eat if i don’t eat meat. I always tell everyone that a vegetarian/vegan diet is full of variety, flavour and options. I never exposed myself to all the amazing vegetables there were and how easy they were all to prepare before i become a vegetarian. You wouldn’t catch me eating a vegetable voluntary. Now, i will eat any veggie you give me!
This healthy chickpea and sweet potato salad is one of many flavoursome vegan recipes you can create and enjoy, simply for your lunch or as a side addition to your dinner. I invite you to give this yummy recipe a try for yourself, i promise you, it’s not a boring one kale leaf green salad, far from it!
- 1 large can chickpeas, drained
- 1-2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 medium sweet potato, washed and chopped
- Himalayan pink salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ medium red onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small lemon, the grated zest of
- ½ small lemon, the juice of
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 large handful parsley, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted under the grill
- Heat a fry pan over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon coconut oil. Cook diced sweet potato until lightly browned and cooked through.
- Stir through salt, pepper and cumin. Pour into a small bowl and set aside.
- In the same pan, heat the other 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and sauté diced onion and minced garlic until translucent and lightly browned.
- Once cooked, take off heat and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine chickpeas, sweet potato and onion and garlic mixture.
- To the mixture add lemon zest and juice, turmeric and cayenne pepper.
- Toss through parsley and sesame seeds.
- Serve and Enjoy!
Anthea @ Rainbow Nourishments says
This looks like the perfect comfort food for the upcoming Winter!! xoxo
Thanks Anthea! It will be the perfect winter salad indeed! x
Sarah | Well and Full says
This chickpea salad looks SO GOOD!! It's everything I'd want in a salad 😉
Hi Sarah! Thanks so much, it's really yummy and i hope you give it a go for yourself! xx
Sounds delicious! Question: when does the salt, pepper, and cumin mixture come in to play? It did not say in the recipe.
Hi Leah! The salt, pepper and cumin are added in step 2. in the recipe method. You add the spices to the sweet potatoes after they have cooked through xx
Cathleen @ A Taste Of Madness says
Haha, I remember when I was a vegetarian. I didn't research recipes: all I had was cheesy fries and pasta. I felt like I wasn't healthy enough so I went back to eating meat. Obviously I didn't do enough research! Looking through all of your recipes, I think that maybe I really COULD be a vegetarian.
Oh there is so much to choose from and to create yourself, especially if you love all veggies! I also love making rice and pasta dishes and vegan pizza! Hope you enjoy the recipes Cathleen! xx
The Hungry Mum says
Love this recipe! Chickpeas are so versatile.
Thanks so much! Love using chickpeas, they are a great ingredients to use in vegan dishes and how great is hummus?! xx