A beautiful luscious moist vanilla cake that is bursting with wild blueberries. The lemon icing is syrup like in consistency that soaks through the warm cake, creating a beautiful soft textured cake. Enjoy with a hot cuppa or coffee.
- 1 1/2 cups (225g) gluten free plain all purpose flour, or regular plain all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup (160g) raw granulated sugar
- 1 large egg (approx. 60g in shell), at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (120ml) milk, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (120ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (140g) wild frozen blueberries, may also use fresh. If you don’t have access to wild blueberries, use small regular frozen or fresh blueberries
- Lemon Syrup Icing
- 30g (2 Tbsp) unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 cup (100g) icing/powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (356ºF). Lightly grease a 7-inch x 11-inch rectangle baking tray with butter then line it with a sheet of baking paper, ensuring there is some overlap so you can lift up the paper to remove the cake later on. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour, baking powder, baking soda and sugar. Whisk until well combined.
- Add egg, milk, olive oil and vanilla. Using a spatula, gently fold until just combined.
- Add blueberries and gently fold through, ensuring not to over-mix.
- Pour batter into lined pan, spreading it out evenly with the spatula.
- Transfer to oven and bake for 28-30 minutes or until lightly golden on top and a tooth pick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and set aside, you’ll now make your icing so you can pour it over the cake whilst it’s warm, the icing takes just a few minutes to make.
- Do not remove cake from pan.
- Lemon Syrup Icing
- Make your icing straight after you remove the cake from the oven, as the cake needs to be warm when you pour it over.
- In a small size pot, add butter and lemon juice. Put over a low heat and warm through until butter completely melts, don’t let it come to a simmer/boil. Mixing occasionally.
- Add icing sugar and vigorously whisk through until no lumps remain and the mixture is completely smooth. It will be slightly thick.
- Remove from heat and immediately pour over the warm cake, spreading it over the whole cake using a spatula.
- It will settle around the sides but then it will gradually soak through the entire cake, top and sides. Set it aside to do this.
- Allow the cake to cool completely in the pan.
- When ready to remove, gently pick up the sides of the baking paper and place cake on a wire rack or board.
- Carefully slide of the paper, I like to use a large flat cooking spatula for this step. The cake is really soft and delicate so please handle it gently as it can break.
- Slice and enjoy! Or very gently slide it into a large tupperware/airtight container, using the spatula again to make it easier to handle/transfer.
- Store in an airtight container, in the pantry, for 3-4 days.
- Prep Time: 20min
- Cook Time: 30min