Rich in chocolate with a tender crumb thanks to the glorious extra virgin olive oil. Created in one bowl, this chocolate cake is a simple cake recipe you can rely on. Frost it with a quick chocolate icing and an extra sprinkle of grated chocolate on top!
- 1 ½ cups (225g) gluten free plain all purpose flour, or regular plain all purpose flour
- ½ cup (50g) dutch process cocoa powder or natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup (220g) raw or white caster sugar
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 2 large eggs, lightly whisked at room temperature (each weighing approx. 60g in shell)
- ½ cup (120ml) dairy free milk of choice, I use almond milk or you may use regular milk
- ¾ cup (140g) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla bean extract
- Chocolate Icing
- ¾ cup icing/confectioners sugar
- 3 Tbsp (20g) dutch process cocoa powder or natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 Tbsp milk of choice, I use almond milk
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (356ºF). Line a round 9-inch baking pan with parchment paper, set aside. NOTE: Alternatively, if you have a non-stick pan, liberally grease it with melted butter and dust it with a light layer of flour. This will leave your finished cake with smooth sides.
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Whisk until well combined.
- Add whisked egg, milk, oil and vanilla. Using a spatula, fold until combined with no lumps of flour remaining, ensuring not to over-mix, the batter will be thick. It will also look a little curdled in texture and that's ok, you're doing it correctly 🙂
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan. Smoothing out the top.
- Transfer to oven and bake for 45-50 minutes or until set on top and a tooth pick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow cake to cool in pan for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Chocolate Icing
- In a mixing bowl, combine all icing ingredients and whisk until completely smooth and thick.
- Pour over cooled cake and gently spread out, it will drizzle down the sides a little or to avoid that, don’t use all of the icing. Set aside to allow the icing to set.
- Once icing has set, sprinkle over grated chocolate.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Store cake in an airtight container, in the pantry or refrigerated, for 4-5 days.
- Prep Time: 20min
- Cook Time: 50min