The smell of fresh homemade pesto is one of those simple pleasures in life. This recipe for simple Spinach, Basil and Chive Pesto is one that you need in your refrigerator at all times!
You can make your pesto with very little ingredients but I wanted to add a few extra’s in because they offer such a beautiful depth of flavour. I usually make my pesto with your basic spinach, basil, lemon, oil and seasonings. However, to this recipe you’re also going to be adding fresh ginger and chives. These two additions take your homemade pesto up a notch and trust me, spread this on many things you make and you will have an epic tasting dish.
Enjoy this pesto on toast, in salads and as a pasta sauce. DELISH!Print
Spinach, Basil and Chive Pesto (Nut Free)! With added fresh ginger and chives, this 10-ingredient homemade pesto pairs well with everything! Can also be made dairy free by replacing the parmesan cheese with nutritional yeast flakes!
- 4 packed cups (100g) fresh spinach leaves
- 2 packed cups (50g) fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup (3g) fresh chives
- 2 medium/large cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 small knob fresh ginger (3g or 1/2 teaspoon worth)
- 1/4 cup (40g) grated parmesan cheese, can also use nutritional yeast flakes for a vegan version
- 1/2 cup (95g) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice (approx. half a medium sized lemon)
- Salt and pepper, to season
- In a high-speed food processor, add all ingredients.
- Pulse a few times to incorporate then scrape down the sides with a spatula.
- Continue to blend on high speed until well blended and to desired consistency.
- Transfer to an airtight container or glass mason jar to store.
- Makes approx. 1 1/2 cups.
- Enjoy on toast, in salads and pastas!