Pesto & Roasted Pumpkin, Tomato Flat Bread! This easy 5-ingredient flat bread whips up in no time, then it’s ready for it’s toppings! First spread with a spinach and basil pesto, your choice of either store-bought or homemade. I recommend using my Pesto Recipe and halving it, making it the perfect quantity to spread on your flat bread. Then you’ll top it with fresh slices of tomato, roasted pumpkin cubed and fresh rocket!
The roasted pumpkin takes less than 20 minutes in the oven, because you will be chopping them into small cubes. Once you have made and decorated your flat bread, you will then warm it back up in the oven, this will also soften those tomato slices, releasing their juices. Top your flat bread with a fresh handful of rocket leaves and if desired, a drizzling of extra virgin olive oil.
This easy 5-ingredient flat bread whips up in no time, then it’s ready for it’s toppings of pesto, pumpkin, tomato and rocket!
- Spinach & Basil Pesto
- 1/3 cup store-bought pesto or make my homemade pesto recipe here and half the recipe
- Roasted Pumpkin
- 200g butternut pumpkin, skin removed and chopped into small cubes
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Flat Bread
- 1 1/4 cups (165g) white unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 tsp (4g) instant dried yeast
- 1/2 (5g) tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (120ml) warm water
- 2 tsp (9g) extra virgin olive oil
- Extra virgin olive oil, for frying
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- Handful of fresh rocket/arugula leaves
- Extra virgin olive oil, if desired
- Roasted Pumpkin
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (350ºC).
- Chop pumpkin into small 2cm cubes and place in a small oven roasting pan. Drizzle over oil and toss to coat well.
- Transfer to oven and roast for 20-25 minutes or until pumpkin is just tender.
- Remove from oven, give them a stir and set aside.
- Leave the oven on.
- Flat Bread
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour. Whisk through yeast and salt. Make a well in the centre.
- Pour in warm water and olive oil. Using a wooden spoon, gently mix the flour into the liquid. Mixing until a soft dough forms. You may want to use your hands for this step!
- On a lightly floured surface, turn out dough and knead lightly until the dough is smooth all over, approx. 10-20 seconds of light kneading.
- Form dough into a smooth ball on floured surface and cover with a clean tablecloth. Allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- In a large cast iron skillet or fry pan, drizzle enough olive oil to create a light coating on the base of the pan. Begin to warm pan over a low heat.
- Lightly dust a rolling pin with flour. Roll out dough to a 1cm-2cm thick round or large enough to fit perfectly into your fry pan.
- Increase heat of pan to high. Once hot, place dough round into pan and cook for 30-40 seconds or until air bubbles begin to appear under the dough.
- Carefully flip over and cook for a further 20-30 seconds until golden and cooked through. Turn off heat and carefully remove bread from the pan and place on a large pizza tray or large flat oven tray.
- Spread over pesto, adding more or less if desired.
- Add sliced tomato.
- Scatter over roasted pumpkin.
- Transfer flat bread to the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes or until the tomatoes just begin to soften and the bread is warmed through.
- Remove from oven and top with fresh rocket leaves.
- Slice into desired sized pieces.
- If desired, finish off with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Store leftovers in an airtight container, refrigerated, for 1-2 days.
- Prep Time: 30min
- Cook Time: 20min