A simple curry spiced stew will warm anyones heart!
This easy homemade stew uses classic flavours and ingredients ready to satisfy you. The texture becomes thick like stew but with the added spices of curry powder and ground cinnamon, this stew is levelled up. Using only 2 spices keeps this recipe easy and approachable.
Recipes like these are wonderful to add to any weeknight meal. The entire family will enjoy this spicy stew paired with cook rice and fresh garnishes of basil and coriander, if desired. I can also tell you that this dish makes for great leftovers! Simple reheat back on your stove with some extra vegetable stock to unstick everything. Heat through until warm and voila, another night done!
This stew is naturally gluten free and plant based. Offering you a good dose of protein thanks to the chickpeas and beans. Winter warming dinner anyone?! Yes please!
I hope you enjoy this spiced vegetable stew friends, it’s really tasty!Print
Chickpea & Black Bean Spinach Spiced Stew
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: Serves: 3-4
Chickpea & Black Bean Spinach Spiced Stew! Easy homemade stew spiced with curry powder and cinnamon! Offering you a good dose of plant based protein thanks to the chickpeas and black beans! Naturally gluten free and vegan!
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium (130g) red onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 1 tsp curry powder
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 1 medium (120g) carrot, sliced into half moons (see photos)
- 400g (1 can) canned chickpeas, drained
- 400g (1 can) canned black beans, drained
- 1 cup (250ml) canned coconut cream or coconut milk
- 1 cup (250ml) vegetable stock
- 1 ½ cups white basmati or jasmine rice, to serve
- 2 loosely packed cups (70g) fresh baby spinach leaves
- Fresh basil and coriander to serve
- In a large fry pan heat olive oil over a medium heat.
- Add onion and sauté until just turning translucent.
- Add garlic and ginger. Cook until fragrant, 1-2 minutes.
- Stir through curry powder, cinnamon and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 3 minutes on medium heat to develop the spices.
- Add chickpeas and carrots, cook for 5 minutes until the carrots soften slightly.
- Add black beans and mix until well combined.
- Pour in coconut cream and stock, mix well.
- Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to low and allow to simmer with a lid on for 15-20 minutes or until the mixture thickens and the liquids have mostly soaked up.
- Start to cook rice according to packet instructions.
- Add spinach leaves and stir through until wilted, about 5 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Serve in dinner bowls paired with cooked rice.
- Garnish with fresh basil and coriander if desired.
Store leftovers in an airtight container, refrigerated, for 3-4 days.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
Tiffany J Burns says
This was a delight! I have a glut of winter squash so used 1 C of cubed squash in place of the carrot and shredded cabbage for the spinach (using what's on hand). Served with brown basmati rice. Thanks for the great recipe!
Hi Tiffany! Thank you so much for your feedback about this stew! I love your swaps and use of the squash and cabbage, sounds amazing! I'll definitely be adding cabbage next time I make this too, thanks! So happy you enjoy it, thanks Tiffany! x