Aren’t these cupcakes THE CUTEST?! These are the epitome of Christmas in a cupcake and I’m SO excited to share this recipe with you!
Using my favourite rich chocolate cake recipe, made into cupcakes, with a hint of peppermint! Classic flavours for a wonderful Christmas!
The frosting? Well that’s my favourite part of these delicious cupcakes, fluffy soft meringue that been lightly toasted, salivating yet? Homemade meringue that’s heavenly with every mouthful. It’s a simple meringue recipe that I know you will be able to achieve. As these are frosted with meringue, they’re absolutely best served fresh. The meringue will last 2-3 days but will begin to melt (sugar begins to separate and melt out from the meringue). Keep them refrigerated!
See those cute mini gingerbread men cookies poking out of that heavenly frosting? These are completely optional but aren’t they the cutest? 😉 You can top your cupcakes with store-bought mini gingerbread cookies or use my homemade gingerbread cookie recipe here. I love how easy that recipe is plus you can make yourself some regular sized gingerbread men cookies also, yay!
I hope you make and enjoy these chocolate peppermint and meringue cupcakes, they’re super fun to make and PERFECT for the festive season!
Chocolate Peppermint & Meringue Cupcakes
- 1 cup almond milk or plant based milk of choice
- 2 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 2 large eggs, lightly whisked
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, melted
- 6-8 drops peppermint essential oil or peppermint extract
- 2 teaspoon vanilla bean extract
- ½ cup gluten free all purpose flour*
- ½ cup almond meal
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of pink salt
- 3 medium-large egg whites separated and egg whites in a small bowl, covered, on kitchen bench until room temperature
- ¾ cup white caster sugar (superfine sugar)
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- Piping bag
- Medium-large closed star piping nozzle
- Kitchen culinary blow torch or use oven, instructions in recipe method
- Optional - mini gingerbread men, store-bought or use my gingerbread cookie recipe
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (356ºF). Line a 12-hole regular cupcake pan with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together milk and coffee until coffee has completely dissolved.
- Whisk in eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla until well combined.
- Add 6 drops of peppermint, taste test and adding any extra if desired. Mix well.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk flour, almond meal, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Gradually add the flour mixture into the milk mixture, whisk until well combined and smooth, approx. 10-15 seconds.
- Divide batter amongst cupcake liners, filling each up ¾ of the way full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until the top bounces back when lightly pressed or a toothpick inserted into the middle of one cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool cakes in pan for 2 minutes.
- Transfer cakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
- NOTE: before whipping egg whites, ensure the mixing bowl and electric beater/whisk attachment you’re using are both thoroughly clean and completely dry from any grease, dust and water. This will ensure optimal results for meringue.
- Ensure egg whites are at room temperature before whipping. NOTE: make sure there is zero bits of egg yolk in the egg whites, otherwise the egg whites won’t whip properly.
- Use a large bowl stand mixer attached with a whip. Or a large mixing bowl using a hand electric beater.
- Add egg whites to mixing bowl. Have sugar measured out and ready to go.
- Start whipping on medium speed to gradually aerate egg whites. Whip until egg whites reach soft peaks. Soft peaks = tip will curl and slowly fall back on itself.
- Once soft peaks have been reached, start to add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Wait 30 seconds between each addition of sugar, to ensure the sugar dissolves.
- Once all the sugar has been added, check to see if it has been dissolved by rubbing a small amount of meringue between your fingers. It should feel smooth, if it feels gritty, continue whipping meringue in 2 minute increments until completely dissolved.
- Once sugar is dissolved, add white vinegar and beat meringue for a further 3 minutes or until stiff, glossy peaks. Peaks will hold their shape when lifted up.
- Fill piping bag with meringue.
- Pipe meringue onto each cupcake.
- Take your blow torch and carefully and lightly toast the meringue frosting.
- If you don’t have a blow torch, simply pre-heat oven to 175ºC (350ºF). Once to temperature, place frosted cupcakes on a baking tray, place in the middle of the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned. Remove and allow to cool.
- Optional: Top each cupcake with a mini gingerbread man cookie but gently placing him into the frosting.
- Serve and enjoy!