Christmas Fruit Cake! A true necessity for the Christmas season wouldn’t you agree? This recipe is from my wonderful Nan, I grew up watching her bake this Christmas fruit cake and each time I smell it, it’s the true epitome of Christmas for me!
If you’re looking for a super simple fruit cake to make this season, this recipe is for you! It’s so incredibly easy to prepare with simple ingredient which most you’re already likely to have on hand. If you’re also someone who like to make Christmas fruit cakes for your family and friends, why not make this one ahead of time and I promise you they will be impressed!
What do you serve with your Christmas fruit cake? I like to enjoy mine with a dollop of brandy infused cream/custard or regular thickened cream or plain custard – YUM!
Are you ready to devour? I hope so!!
Christmas Fruit Cake
- 4 1/2 cups dried mixed fruit, or just sultanas, roughly chopped
- 2 cups pitted dates, roughly chopped
- 1 cup dried raisins, roughly chopped
- 125 g salted butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp all spice
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sweet sherry
- 2 large eggs, lightly whisked
- 2 cups gluten free all purpose flour*, or regular all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 Tbsp brandy
- In a large pot, add all chopped fruit, butter, sugar, spices and water. Place over a medium heat and stir until butter has completely melted through.
- Once butter has melted, increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cook for 3 minutes, uncovered, stirring.
- Remove from heat and set aside, uncovered, to cool completely, this can take a couple of hours.
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (356ºF). Prepare a 22cm (9-inch) round springform cake tin by lightly greasing the inside with some butter. Dust 1-2 tablespoons of flour over butter and tap off any excess flour. Your tin is now well greased and floured, set aside.
- Once fruit mixture is cold, add in sherry and whisked eggs, mix well.
- Sift over flour and baking powder, mix until well combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared cake tin.
- Bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes - 2 hours or until top has set and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to sit for 2 minutes.
- Pour over brandy and use a pastry brush to disperse over the top.
- Leave cake in tin, cover with foil and set aside to completely cool.
- Remove fruit cake from tin and serve. Or re-wrap in foil, place in an airtight container to store and serve later.