It’s that time again – Chocolate Peanut Butter Time!!!
The idea for this recipe came from me wanting to make a big o’ slice of those sticky crispy squares, know what I mean? Yeah those!
But I thought hey, let’s get creative here and change it up a little. I also had chocolate bark on my mind (I’m quite the choc-o-holic, which you probably already are aware of that). So somehow the thickness of a bark and a crispy bar combo was born. Make the usual sticky crispy slice but a smaller quantity so it creates a thinner base (like a bark), pretty fancy hey?
You also have to add a layer chocolate of course! Not too thin and not too thick makes for the perfect ‘bark’.
This 6-ingredient crispy bark is sure to be a winner with you, your family and friends! It’s going to be absolutely perfect for weekly snacks or a special after dinner treat, those are the best, hehe. How will you enjoy this slice?
Not to mention it’s gluten free, egg free and if you want it 100% vegan, simply use dairy free/vegan dark chocolate – which you can readily find from your local health food stores or even some supermarkets are starting to stock it in their health food aisles. PS. If they call 1 aisle the health food aisle, what is the rest of the food in the supermarket…..
I’ll just leave you with that thought 😉Print
- 1/2 cup crunchy or smooth peanut butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 cup rice puffs
- 170g dark chocolate chips/melts, I use Organic Times Dark Chocolate Drops
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- Line a 9” x 12“ rectangle baking pan with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a medium sized pot over low-medium heat, add peanut butter, maple syrup and coconut oil, mix to combine.
- Gently heat mixture until peanut butter has completely melted down and the mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Remove from heat and stir through desiccated coconut.
- Gradually add rice puffs, mixing well after each addition.
- Pour mixture into lined baking pan and place in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes until set.
- Whilst the base is setting, melt chocolate.
- Half fill a small pot with water and put over a medium heat.
- Place a medium-large heat proof bowl over the pot.
- Add chocolate and coconut oil into the bowl and gently melt it down, stirring occasionally until completely melted and smooth.
- Remove chocolate from heat.
- Remove base from refrigerator and carefully pour chocolate over the top. Move the pan around to get an even layer of the chocolate or use a spatula.
- Refrigerate for a further 1-2 hours or until chocolate is set and hardened.
- Lift out from pan and slice into long bark pieces or slices/squares.
Store in an airtight container, refrigerated, for 1 week – 10 days.
- Category: Bark, Slice, Snack, Gluten Free, Vegetarian/Vegan