Happy Friday everyone!! Wow, where did that week go do you think? Not to worry, celebrate the beginning of the weekend with these Sweet Corn Zucchini Fritters, hallelujah! These easy fritters make the perfect side dish to any meal or just as tasty by themselves. Filled with veggies, herbs and spices, the smell alone coming from them is enough to entice you.
I decided to fry the fritters in coconut oil and not vegetable oil, why? Because coconut oil is a healthier option to fry with and is loaded with an incredible number of health benefits. Regular oil such as canola oil and various other forms of vegetable oil will denature at high heat and therefore cause unwanted inflammation in our bodies. So I urge you to stop using those nasty oils in your cooking and use coconut oil instead, works just the same!
For these fritters, I added a decent amount of coconut oil into my fry pan, around 2-3 tablespoons and topping the pan up each time I put another couple of fritters on to fry. I suggest frying 1-3 at once, just so they’re perfect and you don’t make a huge mess in the pan, those slippery little corns can get everywhere! Fry them on each side until crispy and golden, that means they’re perfect and ready to eat!
Besides the oil, these corn and zucchini fritters are an absolute dinner classic. If you’re unsure on what vegetarians eat, this is one of them! I’m a vegetarian but only in my baking (I’m too stubborn to give up butter, eggs and cream, the struggle is real!), vegetarian for all my main meals though! Let me know what you enjoyed these delicious sweet corn and zucchini fritters with!
- 1½ cups sweet corn kernels
- 2 medium/large zucchinis, washed and grated
- 3 large spring onion stalks, trimmed and diced
- 2 stalks celery, trimmed and diced
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1½ tsp ground cumin
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Small handful fresh herbs, parsley, rosemary, oregano, roughly chopped
- 1 egg
- 1½ cups oat flour
- Coconut oil
- Sour cream to serve
- Line a baking tray or large with with a double layer of paper towel, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine corn and grated zucchinis.
- Add remaining vegetables, spices and herbs to bowl, spring onion, celery, garlic powder, cumin, salt, pepper and chopped fresh herbs, mix until well combined.
- Stir through egg.
- Add oat flour, mix until well combined.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of coconut oil in a large fry pan over high heat until completely melted.
- Using your hands, pick up approx. 3 heaped tablespoons of mixture, gently form a round patty in your hands and place into hot oil, frying on high for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown and crispy. Repeat with remaining mixture. Topping up coconut oil after each patty.
- Once cooked, remove fritters from pan and place on prepared tray with paper towel, allowing fritters to drain.
- Top with sour cream and a sprinkle of herbs, serve immediately.