Pumpkin Feta Pinwheels! Just like your classic spinach and feta pinwheels but even better! Secret ingredient – rocket aka. Arugula and it’s an incredible flavour paired with the roasted pumpkin and feta. Wrapped up in golden, crispy puff pastry!
Make these delicious mouthwatering pumpkin pinwheels for your lunch or a pre-dinner snack. You’ll also impress your guests with a big batch of these puff pastry pinwheels when served at parties and gatherings. Ideal for a tasty healthy savoury snack served at birthday parties. The roasted pumpkin offers extra depth of flavour and who doesn’t enjoy when pumpkin is roasted? Also included are mixed Italian herbs, pink salt and cracked black pepper.
The roasted pumpkin is then blended with the herbs and fresh rocket leaves. I love adding rocket into many of my daily dishes now as rocket is more on the ‘spice’ side of flavour. I never used to enjoy rocket but it really is an excellent fresh ingredient, instead of your usual spinach leaves.
It goes without saying that feta in puff pastry pinwheels is a must have ingredient, if I do say so myself. It’s sharp, tangy and salty, absolutely perfect notes of flavour with the pumpkin and rocket, seriously, DELICIOUS!!! I hope you have a batch of puff pastry on hand already to go!
Once all rolled up, the pinwheels are then brushed with milk, which helps the pastry turn that beautiful golden brown. Finished off with a sprinkling of sesame seeds! You ready?Print
- 2 sheets puff pastry, thawed, *gluten free if preferred
- 400g pumpkin of choice, skin removed and chopped into small cubes
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp pink salt
- 2 cups fresh rocket leaves or fresh spinach leaves
- 1 Tbsp dried Italian herbs
- Cracked black pepper, to season
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- 2–3 Tbsp milk of choice
- 2 Tbsp sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 200°C (390°F). Thaw pastry on bench top at room temperature.
- Place cubed pumpkin on a baking tray and drizzle over oil and season with the salt.
- Roast for 25-30 minutes or until tender. Remove and cool slightly for 10 minutes.
- Place roasted pumpkin in a high-speed food processor along with the rocket, dried herbs and pepper.
- Blend on high until well combined and mostly smooth, it’s ok to have it still a little chunky.
- Place both sheets of thawed pastry on 2 large chopping boards or on a clean bench.
- Spoon half the pumpkin mixture over 1 pastry sheet and the other half on the second pastry sheet. Spread across each sheet in an even layer, to the edges.
- Divide and crumble the feta over the pumpkin on both sheets.
- Starting with one of the the longer sides of the pastry, gently roll it over the filling until you reach the end and you have a long log.
- Cut even sizes of the log into the pinwheels or any size you desire.
- Place scrolls on a parchment lined baking tray.
- Brush the pastry of each scroll with the milk.
- Sprinkle each with a little sesame seeds.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes or until puffed and golden, the filling may ooze out a little.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Store leftovers in an airtight container, refrigerated, for 3-4 days. *You can find gluten free puff pastry from your health food store or gluten free bakery.
- Category: Snack, Dinner, Gluten Free