Can we take a moment to appreciate how good stir fry is…
I’ll let you in on a little secret, I never enjoyed stir fry when I was a teenager, because I disliked vegetables! Who would have thought hey! Now I LOVE them!! Stir fry is the perfect way to add a heap of vegetables to your meal that you wouldn’t usually get throughout the day or in one meal for that matter.
Stir fry is great because you can pretty much chuck in whatever veggies you have in your refrigerator and it will taste amazing no matter what! Thats the beauty of stir fry and the super tasty homemade sauce that goes with it, again, so easy!
The sauce contains your usual culprits, soy sauce, hoisin, sesame oil and more. Those combinations always work perfectly together, so authentically stir fry! This loaded vegetable stir fry is gluten free and vegan, yay! If you wish, you can also add egg. If it was me, I would crack the eggs and scramble them in a little coconut oil. Remove and set aside until the very end, toss them through the veggie mixture and you’re good to go, more texture and flavour, if you consume eggs of course 😉
I welcome you to add any other variety of vegetable you have laying around in your veggie crisper, as I said, any veggie will work! You can also serve it up with rice! We like to switch between rice and noodles, oh the possibilities are endless!
This vegan stir fry is super simple, quick and packs a punch of flavour, are you going to make it for dinner tonight?! ENJOY!
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon tamari sauce
- 2 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 3 teaspoon sesame seed oil
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 large purple onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 large zucchini, diced
- 1 medium yellow capsicum, diced
- 2 large celery stalks, trimmed and diced
- 3 large spring onion stalks
- 1 small-medium head broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 cup chinese cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup long green beans, chopped into thirds
- 1 cup snow peas, chopped into thirds
- ¾ cup cashews
- 2 heaped tablespoon sesame seeds
- 200g medium rice noodle sticks, cooked to packet instructions
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk all sauce ingredients together, set aside.
- In a large wok over high heat, melt coconut oil. Add onion and sauté until translucent. Add minced garlic and continue to sauté until fragrant and lightly browned.
- To the wok, add carrot, zucchini, capsicum and celery, fry for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender, over medium-high heat, stirring. Continue to add extra oil if mixture begins to stick.
- Meanwhile, cook the noodles to packet instructions. Once cooked, drain and set aside.
- Add spring onion, broccoli florets, Chinese cabbage, green beans, snow peas, cashews and the prepared sauce. Continue to cook for a further 5-10 minutes minutes or until these vegetables are just tender and everything is coated well with the sauce. At this point, I like to add more of the soy sauce, just by pouring a little into the vegetables until desired flavour, cook through.
- Stir though sesame seeds, turn off heat.
- Serve up stir fried vegetables and cooked noodles together.