Two layers of melt in your mouth shortbread biscuits filled with a zesty lemon cream. The biscuit dough is created in one bowl then cut into small rectangles and baked. The lemon filling is made with four ingredients and one bowl. Sandwich the biscuits together to create your scrumptious lemon cream shortbread biscuits.
- Shortbread Biscuits
- 180g unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup (70g) icing/powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp finely grated lemon zest
- 1 large (20g) egg yolk, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups (190g) plain all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (40g) arrowroot flour or cornflour
- Lemon Cream Filling
- 1 1/2 cups (225g) icing sugar/powdered sugar
- 60g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice, approx. 1 medium lemon
- Rectangle cookie cutter measuring 6cm length x 4cm width (2 inch x 1.5 inch) or a pizza/flat edge pastry wheel
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (350ºF). Line a large baking tray baking/parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, using electric hand beaters, or using the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attached, add softened butter to the bowl.
- Beat butter for a few seconds to break it up. Add sugar and zest. Beat with the butter for 1 minute until pale and creamy. Scraping down the sides as needed.
- Add egg yolk and beat until incorporated, about 10 seconds.
- Sift over plain flour and arrowroot flour (or cornflour if using).
- Beat until incorporated and it begins to form a soft crumbly dough. Turn off the beaters and using your hands or a wooden spoon/spatula, bring the dough together.
- Lightly flour your bench top or a large board.
- Transfer dough onto floured surface and lightly knead to bring it together. Flatten it out slightly into a thick round disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes so it’s easier for you to roll out.
- Lightly dust a rolling pin with flour.
- Roll out dough into a large circle which is 5mm (0.5cm) in thickness.
- Take a rectangle cookie cutter and cut out biscuits. If you don’t have a rectangle cookie cutter, simply use a pizza/pastry wheel, cut out rectangles as the same measurements as the cookie cutter. Place on lined tray, leaving a small gap between each biscuit. Repeat with remaining dough, re-rolling any excess to cut out more biscuits.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until lightly golden around the edges. Check them at 12 minutes as some biscuits can bake faster than others.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on tray for 10 minutes.
- Transfer biscuits to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Lemon Cream Filling
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, add icing sugar, melted butter, lemon zest and juice. Use a whisk to mix it altogether until well combined, it will turn thick. Continue to whisk until smooth and no lumps of sugar remain.
- Prepare a piping bag fitted with a small-medium round tip. Spoon cream into piping bag. You can also spoon the cream onto the biscuits instead of piping.
- Dollop or pipe approx. 1 1/2 teaspoons of cream onto the underside of one biscuit (refer to above images for a visual). Take another biscuit and gently press down on the cream and sandwich the biscuits together, ensuring the cream does not ooze out but has spread out evenly. Place back on the wire rack or a large tray/board. Repeat with remaining biscuits.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container, in a dark dry pantry for 5 days – 1 week. Store in the refrigerator if pantry is too warm, you don’t want the cream filling to melt.