Hola my friends!! Today we will be salivating at these incredibly simple and delightful Vegetable Gluten Free Pasties!
Pasties! We grew up with them and we still enjoy them today, well at least I do! I’m not sure if everyone in the world knows or has tried a pastie before because they do originate from England and of course, here in Australia!
I have always enjoyed vegetable pasties but ever since going gluten free a few years back, we stopped. That is until we discovered gluten free pasties in our local health food store! Oh they are so yummy! They do however still have some questionable ingredients that I would rather not put in my body. They aren’t too bad, I’m just being over-cautious. You know me though, I love to get in the kitchen and make things from scratch! Hence these homemade healthy vegetable pasties, woo!
The filling for these pasties is so simple, I swear you will be wanting to make these multiple times a week to enjoy for your dinner. We have them with a side of Homemade Oven Roasted Fries, it’s like take-away but better and healthier! You can even add a side salad such as this Tomato Cucumber Onion Salad or my Creamy Potato Egg Salad.
I cannot tell you enough at how easy these vegetable pasties are to whip up. One small pot, a pre-heated oven, 10 ingredients and you’re good to go! These make the best weekly night dinners for the entire family. This recipe makes enough for 4 large pasties but if you have a larger family, simply double or even triple the recipe for those growing bodies!
I hope you enjoy these lovely homemade vegetable pasties, I’m a huge fan and I hope you will be too! ENJOY!
- 2 sheets gluten free savoury puff pastry*, thawed
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 small-medium purple onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 small knob (½ tsp) fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- ⅓ cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1 small zucchini, trimmed and grated
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon egg white wash** or 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 200°C (390°F). Line a large baking tray with parchment paper. Set aside.
- If puff pastry is frozen, place on the kitchen sink to thaw out whilst you make the filling.
- Melt coconut oil in a medium sized pot over high heat.
- Add diced onion and sauté until translucent.
- Stir through minced garlic and grated ginger. Cook for a further 2 minutes. Stirring.
- Stir through peas and cook for 1 minute on medium-high.
- Add grated carrot, mix well.
- Stir through grated zucchini, mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook mixture for a further 1 minute and remove from heat.
- Slice each pastry sheet diagonally to create 2 large triangle pieces.
- Place approx. ¼ cup of the filling on the middle of each pastry triangle. Spreading it out slightly towards one of the bottom triangle points.
- Pick up the opposite bottom point of the longer side of the triangle and fold it over the filling to match it up with the other end. This will create a smaller triangle.
- Press down all sides with a fork to seal the pastry together. Place on prepared tray.
- Prick the top of each pastry with the fork.
- Brush a light layer of either egg white wash or milk over each pastry to help them brown.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until pastries are lovely and golden.
- Remove and serve immediately.
*I buy my savoury puff pastry from my local health food store. This is the brand that I use.
**I buy egg white wash in a carton. Or you can use milk to help the pastries brown whilst cooking.
Did you make this recipe? Let me know!