Vegetable Lettuce Cups with a scrumptious hearty filling! These make the most perfect little side dish or I like to personally enjoy them before my main meal. You can choose how big or small you would like your lettuce cups because you can just select a smaller or large lettuce leaf, easy peasy!!
This veggie filling is all made in one pot and takes less than 30 minutes! Now that makes for a perfect dinner doesn’t it? It’s super flavoursome thanks to all the tasty Chinese sauces and spices that are used. I also decided to bulk this filling up with a generous amount of chopped cauliflower and tempeh! Enjoy my friends!
Vegetable Lettuce Cups
Author: Wholesome Patisserie
Recipe type: Entree, Dinner, Side
Serves: Serves: 3-4
- 1 head Iceberg lettuce
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 small red onion, peeled and diced
- ½ teaspoon finely diced ginger
- 1 medium-large carrot, diced
- Half a medium head cauliflower or 1 small head, diced or chopped small
- 1 cup roughly chopped purple cabbage
- 150g tempeh, diced
- ½ cup raw cashews, roughly chopped
- 4 large spring onion stalks
- 4 tablespoon soy sauce, or Braggs Liquid Aminos for a gluten free option
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoon hoisin sauce
- ¼ teaspoon Chinese five spice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh bean shoots
- Sesame seeds
- Iceberg Lettuce
- Chop off the stalk and gently peel away each lettuce layer to create lettuce cups, set aside.
- Melt coconut oil in a medium sized pot or fry pan over medium heat. Add diced onion and sauté until translucent. Stir through diced ginger and cook until fragrant.
- Add carrot and cauliflower, cook for 3-5 minutes or until just tender.
- Stir through chopped cabbage, diced tempeh and chopped cashews, cook until cabbage is soft. Stir through spring onion.
- Add soy sauce, sesame oil, hoisin sauce, five spice, salt and pepper. Cook mixture for a further 3 minutes or until all vegetables are tender. Add more soy sauce if desired, taste test the mixture and adjust.
- Remove mixture from heat and spoon desired amount of filling into lettuce cups.
- Top cups with bean shoots, sesame seeds and a drizzle of soy sauce.
- Serve and enjoy!
Store extra filling in an airtight container, refrigerated, for 2-3 days.
Did you make this recipe? Let me know!