Vanilla Pound Cake
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6-8 1x
A beautifully baked cake thats richer and denser than your classic soft butter cake. This has a tight dense crumb but the texture still has a softness to it. The crust bakes golden which compliments the delicious cake inside. Serve plain or with a dollop of luscious yoghurt of your choosing and fresh berries!
- 2 cups (300g) plain all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 200g unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- ¾ cup (140g) caster sugar, raw or white I use raw
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) milk of choice, I use almond, at room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla bean extract
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (356ºC). Line a 9” x 5“ rectangle baking pan with parchment paper. Alternatively, if you have a non-stick pan, liberally grease it with melted butter and dust it with a light layer of flour. This will leave your finished loaf with smooth edges. Set aside.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, add flour and baking powder, whisk until well combined.
- In a large mixing bowl, or the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle, add softened butter and caster sugar. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes until mixture turns light/pale yellow and creamy in texture, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition until well combined.
- Beat through milk and vanilla until just combined.
- Add all of the flour and baking powder mixture. Beat until just combined and it begins to form a soft but thick batter, it will be quite thick, like a soft dough. Mixing through any remaining pockets of flour but ensuring not to over-mix.
- Spoon into lined pan and smooth out top evenly. As the batter is thick, it will take some patience to spread it all out.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Part of the top will be cracked open and loaf will be golden all over.
- Remove and cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove from pan and turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container, in a dark pantry, for 5 days.
- Prep Time: 20min
- Cook Time: 45min
Did you make this recipe? Let me know!