Do you ever struggle with lunch meals? Yeah I do too! The only time I have an actual meal for lunch is when I have leftover dinner from the night before and that will usually be my lunch the next day. Otherwise, I tend to snack a lot.
This easy super salad sandwich is perfect for your lunches! As well as your families lunch too. You can even prepare the filling ingredients the night before and then fill up your sandwiches in the morning. It’s incredibly healthy and the more you load your bread up with veggies, the healthier it gets!
Ironically, it was easier when I used to go to work, to an actual place of work. I work from home now and you would think that I could just whip myself up a delicious lunch meal but these days, I’m just so super busy with work that I just forget or I’ve been testing all the recipes I make all day that I just don’t get that craving for a lunch meal.
What I’m getting at is that this super simple, healthy sandwich recipe is perfect for those days you don’t know what to make for your lunch! Or your families lunch for that matter. Sometimes we just need the idea or inspiration on what to eat but we already know how to make them.
This super salad sandwich recipe is pretty straightforward and you can of course add anything inside your sandwich that you want. I would even recommend toasting your sandwich for a different take on it. Adds more flavour, texture and excitement. I did however grill the zucchini slices which adds a fabulous flavour to your sandwich. I had never eaten cooked, grilled or roasted zucchini by itself before, always with other ingredients, it’s so good though! A simple technique of quickly grilling some of your raw veggies adds a new level or flavour to your meal.
Other than the grilled zucchini, I just added some of my favourite veggies that I had on hand. We also have a wonderful veggie garden with a heap of leafy greens growing so I added freshly harvested spinach leaves, swiss chard and watercress. YUM!
What is your go-to lunch meal? Or are you like me and sometimes just forget? I think lunch time is often a nuisance because it just comes around so fast after breakfast and then it can get too late and close to dinner to even make something decent and enjoyable! Oh, first world problems isn’t it! Haha! Enjoy!!
- Grilled Zucchini
- ½ small zucchini, trimmed and thinly sliced
- ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2/4 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- Sandwich Bread
- 2-4 slices gluten free bread, or bread of choice
- Avocado Dressing
- 1 avocado, flesh removed
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Small handful fresh leafy greens of choice, I used spinach and swiss chard
- ¼ red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4-5 slices canned sliced beetroot
- 5 watercress stems
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Grilled Zucchini
- Heat an over-head grill to medium-high heat.
- Place thinly sliced zucchini under the grill and drizzle over olive oil and sprinkle with the salt.
- Grill zucchini until lightly golden and slightly crispy around the edges. Turning the slices over in-between grilling to ensure even cooking.
- Turn the grill off and remove zucchini slices, set aside on a clean board or plate.
- Avocado Dressing
- In a small mixing bowl, mash avocado with a fork.
- Add garlic and apple cider vinegar and mash with the fork until well blended.
- Take your sandwich bread slices and lay them out on a chopping board.
- Spread mashed avocado dressing generously over the top of each bread slice.
- On only one of the slices of bread, place a layer of fresh leafy greens over the avocado.
- Layer onion slices.
- Take your grilled zucchini slices and lay them across the onion.
- Add a layer of sliced beetroot then a layer of watercress stems.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover with the other bread slices which only has the mashed avocado on it.
- Slice in half and enjoy!
You can prepare your fillings before hand and then add them to your bread slices when ready.