Hi friends! Happy Thursday! I hope you all have had a wonderful week so far!
Guess what I made over the weekend? This absolutely dreamy, creamy and delicious vegetable casserole! How comforting does it look? This creamy veggie casserole is an old family favourite and my Mum would make this at least every couple of weeks when we were growing up. It uses super simple everyday vegetables and is paired with the traditional creamy white sauce.
We like to serve our veggie casserole along side a fresh homemade green garden salad. For the meat eaters, you can serve this casserole with your meat and a salad! Sounds yummy doesn’t it?
Or you can simply serve it all by itself, it’s perfect! Vegetables and creamy sauce, it just screams winter! Although, it’s quite amazing during the warmer months, perhaps with a BBQ?
If I’m to be honest, the only downside to this creamy veggie casserole is that it’s a little time consuming – steaming the veggies and boiling the potato, but let’s get serious, that’s really not that bad! Good things take time and in this case, it’s not that long!! Plus this white sauce recipe is so quick and easy to whip up, yay!
The breadcrumbs sprinkled over the top before baking adds extra texture and depth of flavour. It turns lovely and golden straight from the oven and once you smell it freshly baked, you just can’t wait to dig in! Will you be making this for dinner? I would love to know what you think of it! Enjoy friends!! x
- 1 medium-large head broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 medium head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 large carrots, trimmed and sliced into rounds
- 300g pumpkin, skin removed and cut into large cubes
- 1½ cups frozen peas
- 3 medium-large white potatoes, peeled and cut into large cubes
- White Sauce
- 135g unsalted butter
- ¾ cup gluten free all-purpose flour or regular wheat all-purpose flour
- 4½ cups almond milk or any dairy free milk of choice
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 200g frozen or fresh grated cheese, dairy free if preferred
- 2 Tbsp store-bought breadcrumbs, gluten free if preferred
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (356ºC). Liberally grease a large oven roasting pan with oil or butter. Set aside.
- Prepare a large steamer and bring to a boil.
- Place broccoli and cauliflower florets, sliced carrots, cubed pumpkin and frozen peas into the steamer. Cover and steam for 5-10 minutes or until just tender. Once steamed, remove from heat and set aside. NOTE: If your steamer isn’t large enough, simply steam vegetables in 2 batches.
- Whilst the vegetables are steaming, bring a medium sized pot, half filled with water to the boil.
- Once boiling, carefully place cubed potatoes into the pot. Boil, uncovered, for 5-8 minutes or until just tender, you don’t want them to turn mushy.
- Once tender and a knife can easily pierce through the potato, drain off water and set aside.
- White Sauce
- Melt butter in a medium-large sized saucepan over medium heat.
- Once butter is completely melted, stir through flour, cooking gently for 1 minute with a whisk on medium heat.
- Gradually pour in milk, whisking until sauce just comes to a boil and thickens.
- Reduce heat to low and sprinkle in nutmeg and season with salt and pepper. Stir through cheese until completely melted. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Spoon a little each of the steamed veggies and potato over the base of the greased pan.
- Spoon approx. ⅓ of the white sauce over the vegetables, doesn’t have to cover it all.
- Spoon another layer of steamed vegetables and potato over the white sauce.
- Spoon another ⅓ of the white sauce over the vegetables.
- Repeat this process until all the vegetables and potatoes are used up and you finish with a layer of white sauce on top.
- Sprinkle over breadcrumbs.
- Bake in oven for 35-45 minutes or until golden on top and sizzling around the edges.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately. Or leave at room temperature to cool down for later use.