Gluten Free Apple & Cinnamon Scones! These homemade scones are heartwarming, satisfying and simple to make. Spiced with ground cinnamon, brown sugar and filled with diced apple. Serve warm shortly after the oven with a warm cup of tea.
The 2-ingredient crunchy topping is made with raw granulated sugar and cinnamon. Baked until golden and puffed up! You can also make these scones using regular wheat flour if you’re not concerned about gluten, wonderful for all of you!Print
These homemade scones are heartwarming, satisfying and simple to make. Spiced with ground cinnamon, brown sugar and filled with diced apple. Serve warm shortly after the oven with a warm cup of tea.
- 2 cups (300g) gluten free plain all purpose flour, you can also use regular wheat plain flour
- 3 tsp (10g) baking powder
- ¼ cup (50g) light packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp (3g) ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 80g (½ cup) unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- 1 heaping cup (150g) peeled and diced apple, I use Granny Smith
- ½ cup (120ml) + 3 Tbsp milk of choice, I use almond
- 1 Tbsp 15g raw granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1-2 tablespoon milk of choice, I use almond
- Pre-heat oven to 200ºC (400ºF). Line a baking tray with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a high-speed food processor, add flour, baking powder, sugar, cinnamon and salt. Pulse a few times to incorporate. NOTE: please see notes below the recipe for another method if you don’t have a food processor.
- Add chilled butter cube and blend on high for 20 seconds until crumbly.
- Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the centre and pour in the milk. Using a spatula or wooden spoon, fold until just combined.
- Add diced apple and mix until a dough begins to form, you may want to use your hands for this step. Ensure not to over-mix, there will still be lumps of flour throughout and that’s ok.
- Lightly flour your bench top or board.
- Transfer dough onto floured surface and lightly knead to bring any loose bits together. Pat it out and form into a thick round, approx. 2cm-3cm high.
- Cut into 8 triangle wedges. Transfer to lined baking tray. Leaving a 1-inch gap between each scone.
- In a small mixing bowl add the sugar and cinnamon. Mix to combine.
- Lightly brush the tops of each scone with the milk.
- Sprinkle each with the cinnamon sugar.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until tops are golden and scones are solid.
- Remove from oven and cover scones with a clean tea towel for 5 minutes. This will trap the steam in the scones, keeping them well risen. This will also soften the scones.
- Remove tea towel and serve warm, plain or with butter, whipped cream or jam. Or cool scones completely on a wire rack and serve later.
- Store in an airtight container, in the pantry, for 2-3 days. These scones are best consumed when they’re freshly baked!
*If you don’t have a food processor, simply whisk all dry ingredients in a large bowl and add cubed butter. Rub the butter into the flour using your hands, until it resembles coarse crumb.
- Prep Time: 20min
- Cook Time: 30min