A beautiful bake at home lemon tart topped with fresh sliced strawberries and a light dusting of icing sugar. Infused with fresh lemon juice and zest, this tart will have your taste buds tingling and your tummy satisfied.
- Pastry Crust
- 1 1/2 cups (225g) plain all purpose flour, see notes
- 1/2 cup (85g) icing/confectioners sugar
- 125g unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 Tbsp cold water
- Lemon Filling
- 5 large eggs, at room temperature, (each weighing approx. 56g in shell)
- 2/3 cup (150ml) coconut cream or regular thickened/double cream
- 1/2 cup (100g) raw or white caster sugar
- 1/2 cup (120ml) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon zest
- Pastry Crust
- In a high-speed food processor, add flour and icing sugar. Pulse a couple of times to blend together.
- Add chilled cubed butter. Pulse for 15 seconds until mixture resembles coarse crumb.
- With processor running, add egg yolk through the shoot and pulse until just combined.
- Through the feed shoot, drizzle 1 tablespoon cold water whilst pulsing the mixture, adding a tablespoon at a time and pulsing until it comes together but not into a ball of dough, just large crumbly pieces of dough.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured work surface. Bring together and gently knead until it forms a smooth dough ball. Flatten into a thick disc using your palm, then wrap it in cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 160ºC (320ºF). Liberally grease with butter a non-stick 24cm round tart pan with a loose/removable base.
- Remove pastry from fridge and onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out to about 3mm in thickness or a bit larger than your tart pan, big enough to go up the sides of the pan.
- Roll pastry over your rolling pin to make it easier to transfer to your pan. Line the pan with the pastry, gently pressing it into the curves around the edge. Ensuring it’s thick enough all the way around so it doesn’t easily crack.
- Roll your rolling pin over the top edges of the pan to easily trim off the excess pastry.
- Prick the pastry base with a fork (refer to image above with no filling).
- Prepare crust to blind bake. Line the crust with a sheet of baking paper. Fill with uncooked rice, beans or baking weights.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Then remove the baking paper and weights and return crust straight back to the oven and bake for a further 10 minutes until lightly browned, then remove from oven
- Lemon Filling
- Whilst the crust is still baking make filling.
- In a large mixing bowl, add filling ingredients, eggs, cream, sugar, lemon juice and zest. Whisk until well combined then allow to sit for 5 minutes to allow the zest to infuse.
- Strain through a fine mesh sieve into a clean bowl or pouring jug.
- Place baked crust on a large flat baking tray (still in the pie pan). Carefully pour filling into crust.
- Carefully transfer to oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top has just set when lightly touched.
- Remove and allow to cool in pan for 30 minutes.
- Remove from pan by lifting up the base and out. Place on a wire rack to cool to room temperature.
- Serve at room temperature or chill overnight.
- To serve, top with fresh sliced strawberries and a dusting of icing sugar.
If you want a gluten free tart, try using a good quality gluten free all purpose plain flour. I would opt for one that is as close to the integrity of the regular all purpose flour, to ensure the crust bakes solid