These are your classic chocolate chip muffins that are rich in chocolate and so delightfully soft! Created in one bowl and no electric beaters, just your spatula, how good is that?
- 125g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups (225g) plain all purpose flour, or gluten free plain all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (50g) dutch-process cocoa powder or unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 1 tsp (15g) baking powder
- 1 tsp (4g) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp instant coffee
- 1/2 cup (110g) raw granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (190g) unsweetened applesauce, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup (180ml) milk of choice, at room temperature, I use almond milk
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (140g) dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (350ºC). Line a 12-hole muffin pan with muffin patty pans, set aside.
- Melt butter first and set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift flour, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda together.
- Stir through coffee and sugar.
- Pour in apple sauce, milk, egg, vanilla and the cooled melted butter. Gently mix together with a spatula or wooden spoon, until a soft and smooth batter forms, ensuring not to over-mix.
- Add chocolate chips and fold through until combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin pan. Filling each 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool in pan for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container, in the pantry, for 3-4 days.