I CANT WAIT TO SHARE THIS WITH YOU!
The EASIEST Brown Fried Rice dish you will ever wish to make! Yes it’s true!
Usually fried rice is using white rice but I’ve been switching between white rice and brown rice for a while now and to be honest, I do enjoy the brown fried rice more! Brown rice doesn’t run the risk of getting too gluggy when cooked with the remaining ingredients and sauces, like white rice sometimes does, or when you accidentally add not enough water when boiling the rice and that’s when it becomes way too gluggy, am I right?
Have you ever made fried rice using brown rice before? I don’t know how to explain it but it’s pretty amazing, the texture! It’s take on a whole new meaning when using brown rice. I have even done you a favour and kept the ingredient list to an absolute minimum but still filled with flavour.
So as there is only 11 ingredients in this, the method of putting it altogether is super simple! The hardest part is having to wait whilst the brown rice cooks, which takes about 20 minutes, if you weren’t already aware of that, the only downside to cooking with brown rice!
Will you be adding this incredible Brown Fried Rice to your weekly dinner schedule? I hope so!
- 1½ cups brown rice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large purple onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 teaspoon Chinese 5 Spice
- Pink salt & cracked black pepper, to season
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1-2 tablespoon soy sauce, gluten free if preferred
- 2 stalks spring onion, finely sliced
- 1-2 eggs
- Cook brown rice according to packet instructions.
- Once rice is cooked, drain off water and set aside.
- In a large fry pan, heat olive oil over a medium-high heat and add onion. Sauté onion until just translucent.
- Stir through minced garlic and sauté with the onion for a further 1 minute.
- Pour in peas and cook until peas are just turning tender, approx. 30 seconds - 1 minute.
- Add brown rice and mix well with the vegetables, cooking over a medium heat.
- Sprinkle over 5 spice and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir through sesame oil and soy sauce until rice is well coated. Adding more soy sauce if desired for a deeper flavour.
- Stir through spring onions and cook rice for a further 2-3 minutes or until well heated through and seasoned to your liking.
- Reduce heat to low on the rice.
- Fry the egg/s in a small frypan with olive oil, or cook egg to your liking.
- Remove rice from heat and spoon into serving bowls.
- Top with egg and enjoy!