If it isn’t chocolate its berries. So many berries so little time! Have you ever made a galette before?? Yeah me neither since this precious little galette i made recently and it tastes pretty incredible. Gluten free pastry crust which hugs a fresh mixed berry filling inside. Baked to perfection then served with fresh cream. For an added bonus, i suggest topping it off with some of my homemade vegan coconut mint ice-cream!
As you know I’m really into baking, yet this is my very first galette. I just love how blogging and sharing my recipes with you all takes me on a journey to discover and create new recipes that even i haven’t made before. I was really impressed at how simple a galette is to put together, especially for a gluten free version. I took inspiration from Bakerita for this berry galette as it looked too good not to re-create. Thank you to Organic Times for supplying me with their yummy organic pantry items to make this recipe amazing and most importantly, organic!
Hot, sweet dessert
Under 30 minutes
Fresh and tart
Serve with cream and ice-cream for extra deliciousness
Now you can really serve this delicious gluten free galette dessert with anything your heart desires but let me tell you something for free… it tastes pretty fantastic with chilled coconut cream or ice cream or chocolate, must i convince you any more?? I decided to add extra strawberries on top of the filling because they’re just so pretty you know! Let me know how you go with this tasty, healthy and quick dessert!
- 1½ cups almond meal
- ½ cup tapioca flour
- 1 tablespoon rapadura sugar*
- Pinch of salt
- 80g salted butter, chopped into chunks
- 1 egg
- Berry Filling
- 2 cups frozen mixed berries
- 1 tablespoon molasses*
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean extract
- 1 tablespoon tapioca flour
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- Cream Topping
- Thickened cream or coconut cream, chilled
- In a high speed food processor, add almond meal, tapioca, sugar, salt and butter, pulse and blend until mixture resembles a corse crumb.
- Add egg and process until well combined and mixture forms a dough.
- Turn out dough onto a piece of plastic wrap, using your hands, form dough into a round.
- Cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour and up to overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Line a large baking tray with parchment paper, set aside.
- Berry Filling
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine berries, molasses, vanilla and tapioca, coat well.
- On a floured bench or board, gently roll out dough, approx. 10” across and thick enough to fold and hold in the filling.
- Once dough is ready, place the berry filling in the centre of the dough and approx. 2” from the edge, allowing enough room to fold over the dough edges.
- Gently fold the sides of the dough up and over the outside of the berries. Creasing the dough together with your fingers as you go.
- Brush the outside dough with the whisked egg.
- Transfer galette to lined baking tray with a large spatula.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown and filling is bubbling.
- Remove from oven and cool on pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cream Topping
- Drizzle desired amount of cream over galette. A couple of scoops of ice-cream is also delicious.
- Serve and Enjoy!
*A suitable alternative to rapadura sugar is coconut sugar or cane sugar.
*A suitable alternative to molasses is maple syrup or honey.