Banana & Carrot Snack Loaf! This simple and quick loaf is a beautiful blend of banana bread and carrot cake. It’s smaller in height than traditional large loaves which makes it perfect for snacking.
It features ripe bananas, grated carrot, cinnamon, nutmeg and walnuts. The texture is not as soft as a cake, it’s definitely heavier, just like a banana or carrot bread loaf. It’s moist and flavourful. Sweetened with honey and coconut sugar which offers another layer of interest.
This loaf is best served and enjoyed after it freshly baked on the same day. It’s still good to eat the day after and so on, but it will begin to sweat, which at that point you will need to refrigerate it. Classic banana loaf right?!
You can either enjoy this loaf plain or I highly recommend you serve your slices with a generous dollop of vanilla flavoured coconut yoghurt, or your favourite yogurt of choice. Plus a light drizzling of honey on top of the yoghurt. This blend works beautifully with the banana and carrot cake loaf flavours.
Hope you enjoy! x
This simple and quick loaf is a beautiful blend of banana bread and carrot cake. It’s smaller in height than traditional large loaves which makes it perfect for snacking. Serve with vanilla infused coconut yoghurt and a drizzling of honey!
- 2 medium very ripe bananas (weighing approx. 265g together with skin on)
- 2 Tbsp (50g) honey
- ⅓ cup (50g) coconut sugar, can also use light brown sugar or rapadura sugar
- 1 large egg (weighing approx. 60g with shell on)
- 150g carrots, grated, (approx. 2 small-medium carrots)
- 1 cup (150g) plain all purpose flour, can also use gluten free plain all purpose flour (if using gluten free flour, the weight will be 130g)
- 1 ½ tsp (5g) baking powder
- 1 tsp (2g) ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp (2g) ground nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup (65g) walnuts, roughly chopped
- To Serve
- Vanilla coconut yoghurt, or yoghurt of choice
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (350ºC). Line a 9 inch x 5 inch rectangle baking pan with parchment paper, set aside. NOTE: Alternatively, if you have a non-stick pan, liberally grease it with melted butter and dust it with a light layer of flour. This will leave your finished loaf with smooth edges.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the bananas.
- Add honey and mix until well combined with the banana.
- Stir through sugar and egg until well combined.
- Sift over flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. With a spatula, gently fold until just combined.
- Add grated carrot and gently fold until just combined. Ensuring not to over-mix the batter or your loaf will be a bit tough.
- Spoon batter into lined loaf pan and spread out evenly.
- Sprinkle over chopped walnuts.
- Transfer to oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden on top and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Run a butter knife around the edges of the loaf to ensure it’s not stuck to the sides.
- Carefully and quickly turn out loaf and put onto a wire cooling rack. Allow to completely cool.
- To serve, slice and top with a dollop of coconut yoghurt and a drizzling of honey.
Store in an airtight container, in a cool dark pantry for the first 1-2 days until it looses it’s freshness. Then the refrigerator for another 1-2 days.
- Prep Time: 20min
- Cook Time: 30min