Need some more dinner inspiration?! I got you covered once again with a batch of this humble vegan potato lentil curry! Yummo in the kitchen!
Don’t you just love curries? They can be so quick and easy to whip up for your dinner and they are also full of flavour! I always used to think curries were just too difficult to make, time consuming, lots of prep time and don’t they have to simmer on the stove top for like, 1 hour?! Ok ok, this curry is none of those things my friends, this is all prepared in one pot (except for the rice of course) but I have a feeling you’re going to enjoy this curry recipe!
Have you tried brown rice with curry before? I’m just loving brown rice at the moment, in fried rice especially and it also works wonderfully with this curry. It does take a little longer to cook but trust me, it’s worth it!! You just have to put it on the stove 10-15 minutes longer than you usually would cook your white rice, that simple!
This curry is sort of similar to an Indian Dal but it’s more like a curry, know what I mean? Haha, I’m confusing you! This curry is so hearty and humble though and it makes for the best leftovers the next day for your lunch or for your dinner. I enjoyed this meal again for dinner the next day and all I did was heated it up on the stove. It does turned a little thicker but thats ok, it actually filled me up for longer.
What’s one of your favourite go-to easy dinners? Mine is of course a curry and pretty much all veggie meals that can me prepared and made in one pot but I’m guessing most of you would probably agree with me on that one?! Enjoy!
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 potato, cut into small cubes
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 medium-large tomatoes, roughly chopped
- ¾ cup Pure Harvest Golden Quench or regular coconut milk
- 1 x 400g can lentils
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves, roughly chopped
- Cook rice first and then start curry whilst rice is boiling, brown rice takes longer to cook than regular white rice.
- Fill a medium pot with water half way, bring to the boil.
- Add rice and boil for 20-25 minutes uncovered or until al dente and soft.
- Drain rice through a strainer and set aside.
- In a steamer, place cubed potatoes and steam until tender, approx. 15 minutes. Once tender, remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large fry pan over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion and sauté until translucent.
- Add garlic and ginger, cook until fragrant. Stir through turmeric and curry powder.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook until they just begin to break down.
- Pour in golden quench (or regular coconut milk), mix well and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and stir through cooked potatoes.
- Cook curry for a further 5 minutes or until it thickens slightly.
- Add lentils and spinach and cook until spinach wilts.
- Remove from heat and spoon into serving bowls.
- Serve with cooked brown.