Brown Butter Madeleines! Taking simple vanilla madeleines and infusing the batter with delicious golden nutty brown butter. It offers them a depth of flavour regular melted butter can’t create. Making brown butter is easy on your stove time which takes about 5 minutes. It’s such a wonderful way to add even more flavour into your baked goods that use butter!
- 110g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup (150g) plain all purpose flour, or gluten free plain all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- ⅔ cup (125g) raw caster sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature (approx. 56g-60g in shell)
- 1 tsp vanilla bean extract
- 1 Tbsp icing/confectioners sugar, to dust once baked
- 12-hole madeleine pan, I use this one
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1-2 tablespoon plain all purpose flour or gluten free plain flour
- Brown Butter
- In a medium sized pot, add butter. Place over a low-medium heat and whisk until butter has completely melted. Once melted, increase heat to high and bring to a boil whilst whisking. Once bubbles appear, reduce heat to medium, it will begin to froth but then the froth will slowly disappear and the butter will quickly turn brown starting on the base. The aroma will be nutty, once it turns brown and has that nutty aroma, quickly remove from the heat and pour into a clean heat proof jug or bowl to stop the cooking process. Set aside to cool slightly. Keep an eye on your brown butter as once it boils and the froth disappears, it turns brown quickly and you don’t want to burn it then have to make it again.
- In a small mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, add sugar and eggs. Whisk vigorously until pale yellow, approx. 2 minutes.
- Whisk through vanilla.
- Add half the flour mixture into the whisked eggs, gently folding with a spatula until just combined. Add remaining flour and fold until just combined.
- Pour in melted brown butter and mix through until well combined, ensuring not to over-mix, just until all the butter has been incorporated and it turns into a thick batter.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (356ºF).
- To prepare madeleine pan: Melt 2 tablespoons unsalted butter. Take a pastry brush and lightly brush a little of the melted butter into each madeleine well.
- Add 1 tablespoon flour into a fine mesh sieve or mesh tea ball.
- Lightly dust a layer of flour into each madeleine well.
- Turn pan over into the kitchen sink and tap the side of the pan a few times to remove any excess flour. Pan is ready.
- Remove batter from refrigerator after the 30 minutes.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of batter into the middle of each madeleine well. Leaving the batter untouched, it will spread out into the wells during baking.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until madeleines are slightly golden and spring back when lightly pressed in the middle.
- Remove and cool in pan for 3 minutes.
- Gently remove each madeleine with your hands and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Transfer to a wire rack and dust over icing sugar.
- Serve warm or cool completely and store for later.
- Store in an airtight container, in a dark pantry, for 4-5 days.
- Prep Time: 45min
- Cook Time: 15min