We are coming into the festive season and you know what that means! Recipes to share galore! I have a fabulous pastry tart for you today that’s filled with classic ingredients ready to be served to your holiday guests.
This puff pastry tart is so simple but the flavour from these classic ingredients are going to keep you salivating for more. Caramelising the onions so they turn golden and soft, then mixed with garlic is a game changer for this tart. Topped with beautiful cherry tomatoes and fresh rocket and basil. A simple savoury dish using store-bought puff pastry. Easily put together and ready in under 1 hour.
The crispy and golden outside paired with the soft vegetable filling is absolutely delightful. Make this tart for your holiday party guests and over Christmas. You can also double this recipe or make as many tarts as you wish to serve a large group of people or a small intimate group.Print
Caramelised Onion Tomato & Capsicum Tart! A fabulous tart to serve over the festive season! The caramelised onions add depth of flavour whilst the cherry tomatoes and capsicum add freshness and texture! Topped with rocket and basil creating a delicious homemade pastry tart everyone will enjoy!
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed, use gluten free pastry if preferred
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large (220g) red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 large (8g) clove garlic, peeled and minced
- Pinch of salt
- 200g (1 punnet) cherry tomatoes, mixed colours or just red, sliced in half
- 1 small red capsicum, cut into 4–5 thin slices
- 1 small egg, whisked
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- To Serve
- 1–2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Fresh rocket/arugula leaves
- Fresh basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F). Line a large baking tray with parchment paper, set aside.
- Heat oil In a medium sized pot over medium-high heat.
- Add sliced onions and cook for 10 minutes, stirring, until golden, softened and caramelised.
- Add garlic and salt, cook for a further 2 minutes on medium heat until garlic is golden and fragrant. Turn off heat.
- Place thawed pastry on lined tray.
- Top pastry with caramelised onions, spread out evenly but leaving a 1 inch boarder around the pastry.
- Add sliced tomatoes and capsicum.
- Brush the pastry boarder with some whisked egg.
- Gently fold pastry boarder inwards, overlapping the filling slightly.
- Brush outside pastry with more egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until pastry is golden, crispy and tomatoes and capsicums are cooked through.
- Remove from oven and cool slightly on pan for 5 minutes.
- Drizzle over desired amount of balsamic vinegar.
- Serve topped with fresh rocket and basil leaves.
Store leftovers in an airtight container, refrigerated, for 2-3 days.
You can double this recipe to serve more guests during the holidays/Christmas!