Homemade luscious lemon curd is simply done in one bowl with 5-ingredients. Perfect to fill tarts, spread on scones, bread and fill cupcakes!
- 3 large eggs, (each weighing approx. 55g in shell)
- ½ cup (100g) raw or white caster sugar
- 1 heaped tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest, approx. 1 medium-large lemon
- ½ cup (125ml) freshly squeezed lemon juice, approx. 2 large lemons
- 100g (½ cup) unsalted butter, cubed
- Fill a small/medium pot ¼ of the way up with water. Place on stove top over medium-high heat and bring it a boil. Once boiling, reduce to low-medium heat to keep it at a simmer. Continue onto next step whilst water is coming to a boil.
- In a medium/large heat-proof mixing bowl, add eggs and sugar. Whisk until well combined.
- To the bowl, add lemon zest and juice then the cubed butter.
- Once water in pot is simmering, place bowl over the pot creating a double boiler, ensuring the base of the bowl isn’t touching the water.
- Whisk mixture until well combined. Once it heats up, the ingredients will continue to blend together.
- Continue whisking over simmering water until mixture becomes thick, about 10 minutes - 14 minutes. Whisking regularly to avoid eggs curdling too much.
- Once you reach the 10 minute mark, continue to whisk until it thickens into a thick pudding/hollandaise like consistency. One minute it will look thin and runny, the next it will thicken up, so keep a watchful eye on your curd and continue to whisk over simmering water.
- If curd still hasn’t thickened up after 10-14 minutes, increase heat a little and constantly whisk until it thickens. Once it’s ready, it should coat the back of a wooden spoon, draw a line through it with your finger and the curd on either side shouldn’t move over that bare line.
- Turn off heat and strain curd through a fine mesh sieve into a clean bowl or jug. Discard any solids.
- Place a piece of plastic wrap directly onto the top of the curd so it’s touching, this will prevent a skin forming on top whilst it cools.
- Transfer to refrigerator and chill for 1-3 hours until thickened further and chilled through.
- Pour into a glass jar or Tupperware container, with an airtight lid. Store in refrigerator for 1 week - 10 days.
- Prep Time: 5min
- Cook Time: 15min