I have to be honest here and tell you that until trying these muffins, i never enjoyed the combination of chocolate and orange together, better known as jaffa. The reason being is that when i thought of the flavour jaffa, it took me back to eating those little round chocolate jaffa candy balls you used to buy as a child and i never like them. Since then i have been put off by the entire chocolate and orange combo, please don’t judge me.
You may ask me why i suddenly decided to combine orange and chocolate in a muffin? Well I’m not too sure, something just came across me and i had to make these delicious gluten free jaffa muffins! Now i can safely say that I’m loving myself sick with the flavour of jaffa, it’s that good right?! I was inspired by my Blueberry Orange & Coconut Loaf recipe that i wanted to take those ingredients, switch it up a bit and create muffins. Add more orange and a ton of decadent chocolate, I’m pretty happy with the way these beauties turned out.
These muffins are all these things and more:
Good enough to share, if you dare 😉
I love to enjoy these gluten free muffins fresh from the oven with the melted chocolate drizzle still warm and chocolatey. Add a touch of fresh orange rind on top and perfecto! I hope you enjoy these divine muffins and remember, always give that flavour you never liked as a kid a second chance, trust me, you may be surprised!
- 80g unsalted butter
- ½ cup almond milk
- Grated rind of 1 orange
- ½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice (approx. 1 large orange or 2 small oranges)
- 2 cups gluten free all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups desiccated coconut
- 1 cup rapadura sugar*
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- ¾ cup dark chocolate drops
- Extra chocolate drops for drizzling
- Extra orange rind for decoration
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) and line a 12-hole muffin pan with patty cases, set aside.
- In a small saucepan gently heat butter, milk, orange rind and juice together over medium heat until butter has melted and is smooth. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, sift together flour and baking powder. Stir in coconut and sugar.
- Gently fold through milk mixture and whisked eggs until just combined.
- Fold through chocolate chips.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin pan, filling each liner ¾ of the way full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Allow muffins to cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Drizzle melted chocolate over each muffin and decorate with extra orange rind.
- Serve and Enjoy!
Use coconut sugar as a suitable substitute for rapadura sugar.
Store muffins in an airtight container, in the pantry for up to 1 week.