Calling all you dessert lovers! I’ve got a beauty for you today. Strawberry, Mint and Almond Galette!
Homemade simple and quick pastry paired with a gorgeous fresh strawberry and mint filling. This galette is going to be perfect, really, for any day of the week, who doesn’t love a tasty sweet dessert after dinner? It can also be a showstopper when served on a special occasion.
The rough pastry crust is sprinkled with flaked almonds for extra texture, to show-off the wonderful almond in the dough itself and of course more flavour. Seriously, almonds and strawberries are a fantastic duo, especially in dessert.
You can serve your warm, fresh out of the oven galette with a scoop or two of strawberry or vanilla ice-cream. The ice-cream is going to gently melt through the strawberry mint filling and you will be enjoying every mouthful. Enjoy!
Strawberry Mint & Almond Galette
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 cup gluten free all purpose flour or regular plain flour
- 1 Tbsp coconut sugar
- Pinch of pink salt
- 80 g chilled butter cubed
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup flaked almonds
Strawberry Mint Filling
- 2 cups fresh Victorian Strawberries halved
- 2 Tbsp fresh mint roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla bean extract
- 1 Tbsp corn flour
- 1 lightly whisked egg or milk of choice for brushing
- 1-2 scoops strawberry or vanilla ice-cream to serve
- In a high speed food processor, add almond meal, flour, sugar, salt and chilled cubed butter. Pulse until mixture resembles a corse crumb.
- Add egg and pulse until well combined and mixture turns into a rough dough. Use your hands to stick it all together to form a soft dough.
- Form into a round of dough and wrap up in plastic/cling wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. NOTE: you can chill dough overnight if needed.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
Strawberry Mint Filling
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine halved strawberries, mint, maple syrup and vanilla, mix well.
- Add corn flour and mix until strawberries are well coated.
- Remove dough from refrigerator.
- On a lightly floured wooden board or bench, roll out dough into a 12” (inch) round. Gently transfer dough onto a large piece of parchment paper, big enough to line a baking tray.
- Place the strawberry filling in the middle of the dough, approx. 2” from the edge, allowing enough room to fold over the dough edges.
- Gently fold the sides of the dough up and over the outside of the berries. Creasing the dough together with your fingers as you go.
- Transfer galette with parchment paper onto a large baking tray.
- Using either the egg or milk, lightly brush the dough edges. Sprinkle over flaked almonds, lightly pressing them onto the dough so they stick.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until pastry is golden.
- Remove from oven and cool on pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Or serve warm straight from the oven!
- Enjoy with a scoop of ice-cream or cream!