Are you stuck for dinner ideas? Healthy, meat and gluten free meal ideas? I got you covered!! Just look at these incredible Soy Tempeh Skewers!
These pretty much taste like those soy chicken kebabs you can buy and grill on your BBQ but they aren’t chicken, get ready to feast on these my fellow vegetarians!
Not only are they super delicious, they are easy peasy to make. I served mine with a bowl of cooked black rice, fresh watercress, those glorious charred lemons and yummy diced cucumbers and tomatoes. You can enjoy these soy tempeh skewers with anything you desire really, i’ve always served skewers on a bed of rice, such an easy yet flavoursome dinner for everyone.
The cubed tempeh is marinated in a mixture of soy sauce, coconut sugar, garlic and ginger. After marinating, you fry these beauties up until they get all crispy and delicious. It’s important to let your tempeh sit in the marinate for a good 20-30 minutes so you can get all those yummy flavours infused, it’s really what makes these skewers absolutely amazing!
I decided to add a little fresh green beans onto the skewers with the soy infused tempeh as they add a pop of colour, crunch and health. As I did with mine, I took the tempeh and beans off of their skewers after I fried them up and mixed them through a big bowl of black rice and veggies, oh my gosh - DELICIOUS!!
I hope you enjoy this soy tempeh skewers, perfect dinner for any night of the week!
- Soy Marinade
- ⅓ cup soy sauce, for gluten free use Bragg Liquid Aminos
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 300g plain tempeh
- 1 cup green beans
- Metal or wooden skewers.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- To serve
- Cooked black rice
- Leafy greens and vegetables of choice
- If using wooden skewers, soak them in water until ready to thread.
- Soy Marinade
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, coming all marinade ingredients, whisk until sugar dissolves. Set aside.
- Cut tempeh into approx. 1-inch size cubes. There should be enough tempeh to fit 3 cubes onto each skewer. NOTE: I didn’t completely fill my skewers up, if you do fill the entire skewer, there will be less amount of skewers made. I made 6.
- Add cubed tempeh into soy marinade, coating each well. Marinate tempeh for 20 minutes, spooning the sauce over the tempeh occasionally.
- Trim and cut each green bean in half.
- Once the tempeh is ready, thread desired amount of tempeh and green beans onto skewers.
- Melt coconut oil in a large fry pan over high heat. Add skewers and fry for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden and crispy.
- Remove from heat and serve with cooked rice, leafy greens and desired selection of fresh vegetables.