Melt in your mouth gluten free shortbread cookies filled with luxurious and sweet passionfruit curd! These soft cookies are an absolute treat. The shortbread cookie dough is easy done in one mixing bowl then formed into your thumbprints. Fill them up with either store bought or homemade passionfruit curd. Bake to perfection and you’re ready to indulge!
- 1 cup (160g) salted butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup raw granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups (300g) gluten free plain all purpose flour (I use a store bought blend of maize (corn), tapioca, rice & vegetable gums)
- 3 Tbsp milk, I use almond milk
- 1/2 cup store-bought passionfruit curd or homemade, I use Barkers New Zealand
- Line a flat baking tray with parchment paper, set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, add room temperature butter. You may also use an electric hand beater with a large mixing bowl.
- Beat butter for a few seconds until softened. Add sugar, vanilla and beat for a further 1 minute until smooth and creamy, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Add flour and milk. Beat on medium speed until the mixture comes together into a soft dough. You may want to use your hands to completely bring the dough together.
- If the dough is still a little dry and not holding together, add an extra tablespoon of milk until it does. The gluten free flour tends to dry the mixture out even further, so more liquid is needed.
- Shape the cookies by picking up 1 tablespoon of dough, rolling into a soft ball and placing on your lined tray, leaving approx. 1 inch between each cookie for spreading.
- Using your thumb, finger or the back of a small teaspoon, gently press in the middle to create an indent. The dough may split around the edges, if it does, simply push it back together. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Cover your tray with plastic wrap or a tea towel and place in the refrigerator to chill the dough for 1 hour. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180ºC (350ºF).
- Remove from fridge and carefully spoon in the passionfruit curd into each indent, making sure not to over-fill otherwise they will boil over during baking.
- Once filled, return to fridge for a further 10 minutes to chill.
- Remove from fridge and then transfer to oven. Bake for 8-12 minutes, they will turn a very light golden around the outer edges but still relatively pale all over.
- Remove and allow to cool on tray for 10 minutes.
- Carefully transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container, in the pantry or refrigerator, for 5 days.
- Prep Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes