Soft, chewy and golden. A nostalgic aroma will fill your home during baking! 10-ingredients and incredibly simple.
- 1 1/4 cups (170g) plain all purpose flour
- 1 cup (100g) rolled oats
- 1 cup (80g) desiccated coconut
- 1/3 cup (70g) white granulated sugar, or raw granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (55g) lightly packed brown sugar* see notes for ‘lightly’ description
- 1 tsp finely grated orange zest
- 125g salted butter
- 4 Tbsp golden syrup
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp boiling water
- Pre-heat oven to 160ºC (320ºF). Line a baking tray with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour, oats, coconut, both sugars and orange zest. Mix well to combine.
- In a small pot, combine butter and golden syrup over a low-medium heat. Stirring occasionally, heat until butter has completely melted. Whilst melting, prepare and have ready your baking soda and boiling water. Once butter and maple syrup is completely melted together, remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, add baking soda and pour over the boiling water, mix quickly to combine. Immediately pour into butter mixture and allow it to froth. Once frothing, straight away pour over dry flour mixture. Mix with a wooden spoon to combine well.
- Pick up approx. 2 tablespoons worth of mixture and roll into a ball (each should weigh approx. 30g).
- Place on lined tray and press down firmly using the palm of your hand to flatten into a round biscuit. NOTE: these biscuits don’t really spread, only puff up slightly.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden around the edges and slightly golden on top.
- Remove and cool on pan for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container, in the pantry, for 4 days - 1 week.
- *Lightly packed brown sugar means to press the sugar lightly into your measuring cup using the back of a teaspoon, add more, lightly press down again, until the amount of sugar reaches the brim.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 10 min