Easy homemade cookies infused with ground cinnamon with chopped walnuts folded through. This heartwarming flavour combination is delightful in these batch of cookies and are wonderful to serve for morning or afternoon tea.
- 1 1/2 cups (225g) plain all purpose flour
- 1 tsp (3g) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (4g) baking soda
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 80g butter (1/2 cup) salted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup (115g) raw granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (40g) light brown sugar, can also use coconut sugar
- 1 large egg (approx. 65g with shell), at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 heaping cup (70g) raw walnuts, roughly chopped plus extra for topping the cookies
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (356ºF). Line a large baking tray with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, add flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. Whisk together and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or a large mixing bowl, add softened butter and both sugars.
- Beat butter and sugars together for 1 minute until well combined and soft, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Add egg and vanilla, beat until well combined and creamy. Scraping down the sides as needed.
- Add all the flour mixture and beat until a soft dough forms.
- Add chocolate chunks (or chips if using) and beat until combined and dispersed through the dough.
- Roll dough into 1 tablespoon size balls (weighing approx. 30g each). Place on lined baking tray and gently press down with your palm. You don’t want a flat disc, just a thick round cookie shape. Place them 3 inches apart to allow for spreading (see above photo on tray).
- Push a few extra small pieces of walnut onto each cookie if desired.
- Bake for 9 minutes. Remove pan from the oven and tap the tray on your bench top or a wooden board 3 times to flatten the cookies a little. Immediately return to the oven with the tray rotated from the original way you had it. Bake for a further 3 minutes or until the cookies turn lightly golden around the edges and the middles are still soft.
- Remove from oven and tap tray on your bench top/wooden board 3 times to flatten slightly again. Allow cookies to cool on tray for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store cookies in an airtight container, in the pantry, for 1 week.
- Prep Time: 20min
- Cook Time: 12 minutes