These wholesome homemade brownies are soft and fudgy in the middle with a rich cocoa frosting! These brownies are completely vegan too, created with juicy dates, creamy almond butter and lots of cocoa goodness. To enhance the cocoa even further, you’ll be adding a hint of coffee and salt.
- 3/4 cup pitted dates, soaked in boiling water for 5 minutes or 3/4 cup medjool dates (180g, approx. 11 dates) pitted, these don’t need to be soaked
- 3/4 cup (200g) almond butter
- 1/4 cup (60g) coconut oil, soft/creamy at room temperature, not solid and not melted
- 1/2 cup (120ml) almond milk or dairy free milk of choice
- 1/2 cup (75g) plain all purpose flour, may also use gluten free all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (40g) cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla bean extract
- 1/2 tsp ground/instant coffee powder
- Pinch of salt
- Chocolate Icing
- 3/4 cup (70g) cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup (55g) coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup (100g) maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (356ºF). Line a 9” x 9” square baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Drain soaked dates if using pitted dates. If you’re using medjool dates, they don’t need to be soaked, just remove their pits.
- In a high speed food processor, add dates. Pulse until broken down, about 10 seconds.
- Add almond butter, coconut oil and milk. Blend on high until well combined. Scrape down the sides.
- Add flour, cocoa, baking soda, vanilla, coffee and salt. Blend on high until smooth and well combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared baking pan and smooth out the top.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the top is just set, it may still look a little under-baked/soft in the middle but that’s ok, that’s what will give you the soft fudgy middle.
- Remove and cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Carefully pull out brownie from the pan and transfer it to a wire rack, leaving the parchment paper intact as it will still be soft, it’s easier to handle with the paper still on the base.
- Allow the brownie to cool completely.
- Chocolate Icing
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, add all ingredients and whisk until well combined.
- You must spread this icing immediately after whisking it, as it thickens shortly after making it harder to spread over your brownie. Spread it over the top evenly.
- Allow to set for 30 minutes.
- Slice into squares.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container, refrigerated, for 5 days.
- Prep Time: 20min
- Cook Time: 15min