Happy Tuesday you guys! To celebrate and get you through this week, we are making these delicious, rich and decadent mixed nut and seed chocolate base bars! Now that sounds exciting doesn’t it?!!
So I’ve had some major chocolate cravings this past week and it’s only appropriate for me to make a sweet recipe that has chocolate in it. Do you ever get those intense chocolate cravings? Oh my goodness golly gosh, I have definitely fallen off the healthy bandwagon this past week and I didn’t even care. Do as I say, not as I do! 😉 I would get my hands on anything that was chocolate in my house and I would gobble it all up. From a sweet chocolate treat I had made to raw cacao nibs, chocolate rice krispy cereal and when I got really desperate, I caved and cracked open one of my dark cooking chocolate blocks that I use for baking, oops! Oh and don’t forget the endless supply of chocolate ice-cream! It was dairy-free, all good….I promise…
These glorious no-bake bars are incredibly simple, full of flavour and they have the best sticky texture, but not too sticky! That would be extra annoying hey?
I mean, the top layer is made with honey, peanut butter and mixed nuts and seeds but the simple chocolate base layer, is just the best!! It’s just melted chocolate, what could be better?! Especially when you’re experiencing mega chocolate cravings, hahaha!
If you’re wanting to switch up any of the nuts and seeds in this recipe, you can definitely do that too! Whatever you have on hand will work. You could even add some dried fruit in there too! I wanted a purely nut and seed bar though, yummy! This delicious recipe also gives you that energy you need to get through your busy day, tempting right?
This nutty chocolate bar recipe is also perfect for kids! I would’t recommend it though if they have a nut allergy, sorry! They will work great in school lunches, after school snacks and weekend sweet treats. Enjoy!
- Top Layer
- ¾ cup runny honey
- 3 Tbsp crunchy peanut butter
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- ⅔ cup raw almonds
- ⅔ cup sunflower seeds
- 2 Tbsp raw cacao nibs
- 2 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 Tbsp flax seeds
- Base Layer
- 300g dark cooking chocolate, broken into squares
- Top Layer
- Line a loaf tin with with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a small pot over low-medium meat, melt together honey, peanut butter and coconut oil until smooth.
- Stir through remaining nuts and seeds to the honey mixture, mixing until well combined. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Base Layer
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler over medium heat, stirring occasionally until completely smooth.
- Pour melted chocolate into the base of prepared tin, spreading out evenly.
- Place in the freezer for 3-5 minutes or until chocolate just begins to set. You don’t want it completely hard as the top layer won’t adhere to the chocolate.
- Gently pour nut and seed mixture over the chocolate base. Spreading out evenly to cover chocolate.
- Place in the freezer for 30 minutes - 1 hour or until top layer has completely hardened.
- Remove from tin and slice into long bars or smaller squares with a sharp knife.
When serving these bars, you will want to serve them straight from your refrigerator, as they melt fast in a warm environment.