Peppermint Hedgehog! The classic hedgehog slice has been taken to the next level and topped with peppermint infused milk chocolate!
- 170g salted butter
- 250g coconut sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly whisked
- 5 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla bean extract
- 400g (2 x 200g) store-bought arrowroot biscuits or plain digestive biscuits
- 200g milk chocolate, your choice or baking chocolate, broken into squares
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 5 drops peppermint essential oil, or 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
- Line a 9 x 9 inch square baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan over low heat, melt together butter and sugar. Stirring occasionally until butter has completely melted. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 15 minutes to avoid your eggs curdling when mixed through.
- Once cooled slightly, stir through whisked eggs until well blended.
- Return to stovetop over a low-medium heat.
- Sprinkle over cocoa and stir through.
- Heat mixture until small bubbles begin to appear in the middle of the pan, whilst mixing well.
- Remove from heat and stir through vanilla.
- Crush biscuits to a chunky crumb in a high-speed food processor, one packet at a time.
- Gradually mix through crushed biscuits to the chocolate mix until well combined.
- Pour mixture into lined pan and smooth out the top.
- Place in the refrigerator for approx. 20-30 minutes until the top is just soft to the touch but not completely solid.
- Prepare a double boiler with a heat proof mixing bowl over simmering water.
- Add milk chocolate and coconut oil to the bowl and gently melt, stirring occasionally.
- Once completely melted and smooth, remove from heat.
- Add peppermint oil and mix well, adjusting the amount of drops you add depending on your desired strength. I used 5 drops of peppermint essential oil.
- Remove soft hedgehog from fridge and pour over melted chocolate. Move the pan around until the chocolate has spread out into an even layer.
- Return to refrigerator until completely set, approx. 2-3 hours or ideally overnight.
- Remove from pan and allow slice to sit at room temperature for 15 minutes (this will help you slice into the hardened chocolate top layer). Then slice into squares.
- Serve and enjoy!
Store in an airtight container, refrigerated, for 1 week – 10 days.